Trans lifespan...

Viking

Reaction score
When I did mine last fall I went with the borg warner kit and PI tc. My stock one went 210k then puked the inline plug.

Montgomery P-Stroke

Reaction score
Wish I had that kind of luck with stock trannys. The original in my truck went at 60k and got a Ford reman when my brother owned it. Now the reman has a whopping 43k miles on it and is starting to get sloppy on hard throttle shifts...still pulls a load and drives fine when the pedal isn't on the mat. This truck has been chipped from day one by the original owner that I know quite well (I'm the 3rd) and has had 35"-38" tires from the start as well so they might have contributed to the first failure. In my opinion these trannys should be able to last 100k with stock sticks and abuse but some don't come close. Starting to look at the good ones myself.

GreenF350

Reaction score
My Suncoast went in my truck about 7 years and 130,000 miles ago and so far so good. I was still running stock sticks until a few months and 5k miles ago though. No issues with the transmission, although I'm surprised at the amount of friction material in the pan when I've had it off. It still runs nice and cool even when it's 100*F outside....seeing over 150-160* is rare. I've kind of been wondering the same thing as CSIPSD as mine is getting up there in age too and I'm always planning the next mod/repair.
-Aaron

Last edited:

old man dave

Reaction score
I thought DI used to sell the Suncoast? Don't know if he still does, but I would think he would be able to tell you how they hold up.

Jason

Reaction score
I don't know how the trans in my old truck is holding up...haven't asked the new owner about it..haven't thought about it til now. I put 248k miles on my stocker. I ran a superchips in my less knowledgable days, then switched to Matt's tunes. Ran 35's for a couple years, then dropped down to a 305 tire. BUT..I towed heavy with the truck, most of the time was was only 12k or so hangin off the back, but there was several times when the gross was between 26k and 32k. Stocker didn't act up at all, I didn't touch the fluid in 130k miles, buddy of mine and some reading toldme..I didn't know when or how often it was changed...leave it alone. So I did. At 248k miles it still shifted and performed flawlessly, outside of 6 times out of 10, the converter would try to lock when you put it in reverse. Give the truck a little gas, and it was fine. Put your foot on the brake, or put resistance on it ajd it would die. Going forward..it was fine. Temp never got hot outside of one time I was very heavy in slow speed hills and couldn't lock the converter...which I think just kinda helped kick the downed dog.

Pulled the trans out, full rebuild, better clutches, valve body,and a triple disc converter, and it was back in action. I guess my point is, the stockers don't get much credit for their strength, for various reasons, I wasn't flogging the truck, but it got used for towing a lot, aside from the lift, and added power that people seem to point fingers at, I don't think that's the case at all. Some aay they should last 100k miles..I'd be pissed if it didn't last 100k, if you aren't driving like an ashat, it should last longer a long time. I think a bts, or john wood trans behind a 450-500 horse motor should last just as long as a stock one behind a stock motor, treated properly, and barring catastrophic failure.

Hell, my mustang went through 2 Tremec 3650's in 65k miles. It's sitting right now til I find time to start tearing it apart. I stopped powershifting when the first one gave up at 35k miles. The second??? I REALLY DON'T know what to say about that one. But THAT is unacceptable and pisses me the f off.

mandkole

Reaction score
at about 65K pretty easy miles, my BTS needs to be pulled for a likely pump replacement. Thats a ford issue, not BTS... The dreaded 'lock the converter on the first shift' thing with fluid below 80F.

Keep runnin it Joe...

Latest posts

Members online