trans problems

1tonpower

Reaction score
im starting a new post because i think my problem is deeper then just solenoids. I installed a new OD clutch solenoid and Im having the same problems.

correct me if im wrong about the function of the 5r110, is it a 3 speed trans with an over drive side..for lack of a better way to put it, it splits shifts 1st and 3rd and uses the low side of 2nd under normal driving.

with the trans in limp my live wire is showing 1-3-5 for shifts. if i clear the wrench light it will sometimes shift. 1-2-3-5-6..if i hold 2nd gear with the shifter it will be in 2nd and will move at slow speeds, but when i accelerate slow and steady it will rev like its in N before i can get up to 3k rpms. some times OD will kick out the same way, and slam back in when i get when i back off throttle. for what ever reason i am able to make the 60 mile drive to word with out limping, but at the end of the day i cant make it ten miles before it limps...

id feel better about buying a new trans if someone told me that i was SOL with my current trans. is it possible for just the OD side of the trans to fail. like the OD clutchs are so worn that it cant hold any power, hens why it will move at slow speeds in 2nd and kick out when power is put to it. when i first took the trans pain down the magnet had a fair amount of what im guessing was clutch material on it, but i wouldnt say it was excessive.

is it time to starve the wife and kids and buy a trans :mad:

1tonpower

Reaction score
trans temp gage was always in the middle...173 ish? but im going from memory. ill check tomorrow

1tonpower

Reaction score
Just finished the drive to work. I started watching the shifts from when I left the house. I don't have to slow or stop between my house and the highway. So it only upshifts. I'm sure it skipped 2nd but was able to get into OD and lock the convert. I drove at 75 for an hour. At one point I slowly went to WOT and the gear held power.

Now I got off the highway and came to a stop. The trans started in 1st then I saw 2nd and didn't feel the shift. I help petal position for a few seconds and then it shifted and stayed in 2nd as long as it should then 3-5-6. I wasn't going fast enough to get TC lock. I slowed to first gear as I pulled into dunkN donuts and watched the shifts. 2nd showed but no shift then went to 3rd..when I left I tryed it again and was the same thing. Went right to 3rd... Now the wrench is on.

Trans temp was 98* when I left the house and stayed 172-174 for the hole ride.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
It is possible that the overdrive clutch is burnt. That will cause problems with second and sixth gears. Does the fluid look brown or black and have a burnt smell to it?

1tonpower

Reaction score
It have new fluid in it now.. With about 300 miles on it...when I dropped the pan first to do the direct drive solenoid the fluid was dark. It didn't smell real bad...a friend of a friend is a ford diesel tech and he said it wasn't al that bad...

My original problem happen just as I backed off the throttle from an hard "3/4 throttle" run up to 50 mph.. It seemed like it shifted as I lifted and it slammed that gear. I think it was 5th.. When slowing down at the next trafic light it down shifted funny. Almost like I shifted to reverse when rolling forward. .. I probably should have said that earlier... Anyhow that's when I go the code for the direct drive solenoid...could something have broken then found its way into the OD clutch... I didn't find a lot of metal on the magnet. Just a fair amount of the grayish slime... I'm going to drop the pan and check for forgan meteral again.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.