Trans rebuild issues

VC-Racing

Reaction score
Had my trans rebuilt and everything has been fine until a few weeks ago. When I engage the trans in reverse, the RPM's drop to around 500 and it causes the truck to move quickly in reverse and the engine sounds like its under a load. I can blip the throttle and sometimes it goes away. I have a video/ sound byte but will need to upload it. Anyone ever had this happen?

I took the truck back to the trans shop and he says there's no issue, but I'm thinking the is something causing this and if it's in the trans, he has to warranty it...

Thanks,

Vic

VC-Racing

Reaction score
Had my trans rebuilt and everything has been fine until a few weeks ago. When I engage the trans in reverse, the RPM's drop to around 500 and it causes the truck to move quickly in reverse and the engine sounds like its under a load. I can blip the throttle and sometimes it goes away. I have a video/ sound byte but will need to upload it. Anyone ever had this happen?

I took the truck back to the trans shop and he says there's no issue, but I'm thinking the is something causing this and if it's in the trans, he has to warranty it...

Thanks,

Vic

I forgot to mention, it sometimes chokes the truck down and causes it to shut off. the trans temp around 170* during this video, but has done it cold also.

here is the video

Last edited:

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
That's the torque converter clutch drifting on. It can be caused by low fluid, loose/missing internal filter, worn seals, bad pump, or a bad converter.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
If the trans fluid level is right with the trans warmed up, idling in park, and on a level surface, the next step is to put a pressure gauge in the test port on the driver's side of the trans. If you see a big dip in pressure when shifting to reverse, you have a low pressure problem which will cause the converter clutch to drift on.

VC-Racing

Reaction score
Update:

Took truck to trans shop on Tuesday that did rebuild. After showing him the video he concurs that there is a issue. Called today to check on the progress.
They found :
unit was 1 qt low due to bad pan / gasket
neutral switch had fluid in it
filter had a crack near the top where it goes into the pump.

More updates later.

Latest posts

Members online