trans solenoid "B"

1tonpower

Reaction score
well i just got the trans together after replace the direct drive solenoid. the test drive was ok..a few funny up ****s but i thought that was just the trans relearning because i changed to a tow tune till i knew the trans was ok. the drive home from my buddies shop went good, as for the 60 mile ride to work the following day. about 10 miles into the ride home, witch was city stop and go traffic, i was no higher then 3rd gear. then i get to the on ramp and its running thought the gears, 6th comes then the convert locks and i get the wrench light. this time for the B solenoid. witch is the intermediate and OD solenoid..right now the truck shifts 1-3-5...

heres the question..ive been deleted for 7k miles now...running innovative extreme X for most of that time. i have yet to do a full throttle pull from a stop, i have been fairly nice to it. the fluid that came out when i did the direct drive solenoid wasnt burnt at all. the trans did have a funny shift ever now and then but it was doing that before i deleted. is it just **** luck that i lost this solenoid too. or should i be looking into other things.

i have studs plained for the winter months but i fear a suncoast built trans may have to come first :/

1tonpower

Reaction score
i know it only uses 5 gears, but the trans does have 6 different forward ratios..the 4th shift is ether 1:10:1 or 1:1 depending on the temp and other factors. excuse my ignorance in calling OD 6th. SCTs live wire shows the ****s go 1,2,3,5 and 6.

ill be throwing a new solenoid in on Saturday, if i have another failed solenoid after this then i dunno what else to do asides from putting a new new trans in.

Last edited:

1tonpower

Reaction score
I have your modded direct drive solenoid. Direct drive is solenoid D..I'm getting a code for solenoid B now... I'm under the assumption that the only modded solenoid available is for the direct drive.."3-5" shift.

At any rate I'm going to stick a stock one in. And hope for the best.. If it runs out that the trans is shot then ill build a built unit from sun coast

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
The 5R110 transmissions do not have a 6th gear.
Yes they do. There are six ratios in a 5R110. In normal operation the trans shifts 1-2-3-5-6. When the trans is colder than 0°F it shifts 1-2-3-4-6.

There is no solenoid that controls the intermediate and OD clutches. There is one solenoid for each clutch. Solenoid B is the overdrive solenoid, solenoid C is the intermediate solenoid.

1tonpower

Reaction score
Thanks for the clearifacation. I only glanced at what the solenoid controlled. The fact of the after hasnt changed.. I am getting the code for failed solenoid B... My question still lies on the table.. Is the a reason that I'm blowing solenoids or is it just bad luck.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
What fluid are you using? The wrong fluid will kill solenoids. So will a failing clutch, the small particles get into the solenoid and make it stick.

Which code are you getting?

1tonpower

Reaction score
P0756 and p2701.. I'm purity sure those where the two.. I have them written down in my truck an I'm no where near it right now. I'm using ford fluid

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
What fluid are you using? The wrong fluid will kill solenoids. So will a failing clutch, the small particles get into the solenoid and make it stick.

Which code are you getting?

Not to pull the topic off-topic but being a Ford engineer would you agree with any fluid other than Ford? I have used Redline fluids for most of my other vehicles and wouldn't mind your opinion on it for this trans.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?product=30704

TIA!

Sub'd for "B" resolution as well.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
I'm not a Ford engineer.

That Redline fluid should work fine. It is rated to meet MERCON SP, and that's what the trans requires. I don't have any personal experience with that fluid.

P0756 means the solenoid is mechanically stuck. That can only be a solenoid problem, not a wiring problem. The other code says the clutch that is controlled by that solenoid didn't apply, which makes sense since the solenoid didn't work.

1tonpower

Reaction score
The New part is in and she's shifting as she should... Ill give it a little while before I lay into the diesel peddle, and give it a few days before I says that's its fixed. Next weekend I get to tackle that damn egr pipe.

1tonpower

Reaction score
i knew i spoke to to soon..i was driving around all day today. mixed driving, mixed acceleration rates. im watching the gear changes on my live wire. it seems to be skipping 2nd..the monitor shows 2 but you dont feel the shift. then when you feel the shift it shows 3, then 5 and 6 and you feel the lockup around 50.

if i **** the truck manually from 1st to 2nd you can feel the shift. but once in 2nd ill hold it and accelerate slowly it will go up to about 2500 rpm then act like i shifted to N..it just revs. if i leave it in 2nd and let the truck slow down you can feel the truck slam back into gear.

i have been clearing the wrench light through out the day all for the same codes. p2701 and p0756. when i check the fluid level it was a little on the low side for the hot range, and i noticed little air bubbles on the sick.

is my problem i described the air working out. last week when i was diagnosing the direct drive solenoid i had the solenoid block off the trans. "per-order of the diagnostic steps" how much air could get trapped and possibly cause this problem.

at some points the wrench was coming on at low speeds. i would know it was on because it was OD shift wouldnt shift when expected..

someone show me a light at the end of this tunnel before i buy a new trans :doh::doh::doh:

edit:i forgot to mention that last night when when in over drive the trans seemed like it would come out of gear and slam back in as the truck slowed. i hasnt done that in OD seance last night but i havnt driven on the high way seance then.

Last edited:

1tonpower

Reaction score
This morning I was able to get to OD. I manualy shifted and skiped over 2nd. I made the run to work at 80 with out an issuse at high ways speeds. I left it in drive when I got off the high way. It's skipping 2nd gear still and throws the wrench light after. Fluid level was half way into the hot side. I added a half qt. well see what the ride home brings

Last edited:

1tonpower

Reaction score
the last two days i was able to drive to work at 75mph in OD. and both days for some reason on the way home it decides to limp. always the same codes. fluid level...im clueless on what else it could be. i checked if the modded direct drive solenoid was in right and it is. i think i have to face the sad truth and admit that my trans is hurt bad..

Latest posts

Members online