Trans won't stay cool

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Either way, the trans needs to come out and rebuilt. You either have a burnt up trans or something else that caused the cooler to get plugged.

And my trans guy (Paul aka: The Punisher) who also is a Ford trans tech gets rid of the bypass also.

Billy T.
[email protected]

kingbilly68

Reaction score
Is there a test procedure for the bypass? Or does the bucket flow test rule it out?

I guess I really dont understand how it works. I know ehat it does but not how it works.

The bucket test will show if the bypass is working or not.

I have heard John does that. I think it's a bad practice.

The bypass is there to open a circuit for fluid flow in case the cooler or cooler lines get restricted. That's important because the return from the cooler is first sent to the rear lube circuit. If there is no bypass and the cooler circuit gets restricted, the result is no lube to the rear half of the trans. That means in a very short distance the rear half of the trans will self destruct. If the bypass is in place it opens and lube flow is maintained. The trans will get hot, but not self destruct.

Please excuse my ignorance. Can someone please explain the bucket test or point me in the direction to read up on it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mandkole

Reaction score
Please excuse my ignorance. Can someone please explain the bucket test or point me in the direction to read up on it?

Lots of good info on cooler circuit testing here.. Sonnax is my go to on lots of trans information. http://www.sonnax.com/articles/198-4r100-repeated-converter-failure

When the bypass fails, it constantly 'leaks' flow from getting to the cooler. My trans guy removes the bypass also. In his experience, he sees more failures of the valve than 'saves' of a trans with its correct function.

smitty4605

Reaction score
When the bypass fails, it constantly 'leaks' flow from getting to the cooler. My trans guy removes the bypass also. In his experience, he sees more failures of the valve than 'saves' of a trans with its correct function.

My trans guy said the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Mark knows his chit when it comes to the 4r trans.... i would take his word for it over anyones.. oh and Brian Thompson says the same thing as Mark...

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
and believe it or not, when your trans is built right and the cooling is efficient, then it can and will freeze in the winter.. what hapens to the flow of fluid if the bypass is removed and it freezes? obviously it stops and there is no more flow... the bypass keeps it moving in said conditions..

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score
Is this bypass something that gets replaced during rebuilds? My build is shipping out next week and i wonder if I need to be asking about it. Lots of neat machinework and extras goung into my build and if this stupid thing is the achilles heel i want to know a bit more about it.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Gets far enough below pour point to not flow, I think is what he meant.
exactly. doesn't freeze solid but thats what it acts like. i even called brian and asked what i did that could maje my temp gauge act all funny. my sensor is in the pan also and when the trans gauge rarely gets of the peg in winter and it spikes to 180 then slowly goes back down as in doesn't even register again, it means that the fluid stops flowing through the coolers and starts going through the bypass valve untill the radiator heat warms the coolers back up enough to flow. brian said my coolers are to efficient. lol.. he said throw a beer box in front of it and dtive it and call him back.. sure as chit, it stayed warm enough to keep fluid flowing through the coolers and my gauge rose off the peg.. not much but no more spikes..

live life full throttle

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Tranny fluid freezes?
It doesn't freeze in any temperature you'll live in, but it can get so thick that it won't flow through the lines and the cooler. And if that happens and you don't have a bypass the rear half of the trans runs with zero lubrication.
Is this bypass something that gets replaced during rebuilds?
I don't know what each rebuilder does. A rebuild kit for the bypass is really, really cheap and takes about 5 minutes to install with the trans on a bench. Maybe and extra five minutes to do it in the truck.

Last edited:

smitty4605

Reaction score
Either way, the trans needs to come out and rebuilt. You either have a burnt up trans or something else that caused the cooler to get plugged

Billy T.
[email protected]

The was rebuilt. He did the flow tests. The only last things I can think are is get a new trans cooler and pull the intercooler off and pressure wash it out. Maybe there is not enough air flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
It doesn't freeze in any temperature you'll live in, but it can get so thick that it won't flow through the lines and the cooler. And if that happens and you don't have a bypass the rear half of the trans runs with zero lubrication.

I don't know what each rebuilder does. A rebuild kit for the bypass is really, really cheap and takes about 5 minutes to install with the trans on a bench. Maybe and extra five minutes to do it in the truck.
exactly!!!!

live life full throttle

kingbilly68

Reaction score

Thanks for all the valuable information. I guess I'll be getting a rebuild kit and sending the de!ete kit back.

TyCorr

Reaction score

From Ford? The bypass kit? I am having a trans built and while I have faith in the builder, i do also like to check things over.

Latest posts

Members online