transfer case brace????

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
Mind you I was not implying the OP is an idiot or bragging about big power. I was just saying I don't understand how Bean threw 800hp+ through a stock T case without breaking it or Sam ran a stock T case behind a mechanical 7.3L pulling sleds without issues. But somehow I have heard of a few guys making slightly over stock power split them in half or have other catastrophic failures. It just defies logic to me.
I have installed the Merchant T-case brace on a Dmax before so I understand what your saying & where your coming from. It's a very nicely made piece. However, I feel that if snapping T cases was common for the Ford guys, we would have braces from some company as well.
I have to agree with Banshee about bolts being loose. I was working on an 02 once. Driver complained of a slight drive line vibration, so I went to wiggle the drive shaft to check for U joint play. It had a substantial amount of play that I traced back to the T case hanging on by threads. How it hadn't fallen off still baffles me to this day. I think another 50 miles or a good 4x4 launch would have broke something major for sure.
Anything can happen with these trucks, especially when your towing heavy regularly. You have a lot of torque & stress flowing through your drive line & have a cast alloy case, it doesn't take much to crack one. Anything can happen but I thing your case was a freak problem. Or it's something that is never reported often on the internetZs.

OSCS

Reaction score
Mind you I was not implying the OP is an idiot or bragging about big power. I was just saying I don't understand how Bean threw 800hp+ through a stock T case without breaking it or Sam ran a stock T case behind a mechanical 7.3L pulling sleds without issues. But somehow I have heard of a few guys making slightly over stock power split them in half or have other catastrophic failures. It just defies logic to me.
I have installed the Merchant T-case brace on a Dmax before so I understand what your saying & where your coming from. It's a very nicely made piece. However, I feel that if snapping T cases was common for the Ford guys, we would have braces from some company as well.
I have to agree with Banshee about bolts being loose. I was working on an 02 once. Driver complained of a slight drive line vibration, so I went to wiggle the drive shaft to check for U joint play. It had a substantial amount of play that I traced back to the T case hanging on by threads. How it hadn't fallen off still baffles me to this day. I think another 50 miles or a good 4x4 launch would have broke something major for sure.
Anything can happen with these trucks, especially when your towing heavy regularly. You have a lot of torque & stress flowing through your drive line & have a cast alloy case, it doesn't take much to crack one. Anything can happen but I thing your case was a freak problem. Or it's something that is never reported often on the

Gotcha, I see where your coming from. This has inspired me to give my driveline a walk through tommorow morning.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Anything can happen with these trucks, especially when your towing heavy regularly. You have a lot of torque & stress flowing through your drive line & have a cast alloy case, it doesn't take much to crack one. Anything can happen but I thing your case was a freak problem. Or it's something that is never reported often on the internetZs.

lol, prolly would have been easier to explain it this way the first time cat.... i knew what you ment though.

hayden

Reaction score
Yeah this truck def isnt making lots of power its my work truck and only has diablo sport chip and 4 inch turbo exhaust. We looked for every possible cause, all bolts were tight, yet the cast iron adapter was broken completely in half, u joints were good, trans mount was in good shape, and the truck is stock height so dont think driveline angles were or are an issue, truck is fixed now and has had 1000 trouble free miles put on it. I was just simply wondering if they had a brace like they make for the d maxes to maybe help this from happening again, because it turned into a really expensive "freak" accident

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Fortunately it most likely was a freak accident. I hear of very few people breaking t cases, and a driveline inspection ever month or so would have caught the loose bolts before they caused any damage. I wouldn't loose any sleep over it happening again if the rest of the driveline is in good working order.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.