Transfer case noise

dave186

Reaction score
Hey guys, havent been around for a while. I had to use 4x4 in my truck today for the first time since last year. I locked the hubs and drove around for quite a while before actually engaging the transfer case. When I did I eventually noticed a slight noise, its kind of a clicking or buzzing noise. Its not very loud and I can only hear it with the windows up and the radio off. sounds like its coming from the floor or under seat area. When I disengage the Tcase and it actually unlocks the noise goes away, its also louder the more load is on the drive train.

I already took out the front drive line and spun everything by hand and checked all the U joints. I have a F350 with the double cardan joint and I thought that was it but its not. All signs point to the T case but what inside of that thing could make that noise? something in the shifter mechanism? The chain? Everything seems fine from the outside, should I tear it apart? Ive had one apart before (not this one) to re seal it but never had a problem other than that.

Also, its a 95 with a manual shift T case and auto trans.

jschildm

Reaction score
Could be noise from the front axle itself. They can make noise when load is applied. Especially since they only spin every so often. I would probably describe it as more of a hum though, if that were the case.

dave186

Reaction score
It's more of a click than a hum. It doesn't do it unless it has a load. Everything is smooth when i jack it up and spin by hand. Friend of mine has a spare t case so I'm going to try that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online