Transgo Tugger with new VB ?

Smokin 6.0

Reaction score
I am going to install a new VB either John Wood or BTS in my 02 haven't decided yet. Input on that would be nice as well. Do I need a Transgo tugger kit with it or no ? Stock trans with Billet Triple Disc

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
The transgo tugger mods the VB same as a BTS or john woods VB. I don't know if they do anything extra but I did the tugger kit on mine, pretty easy install

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Smokin 6.0

Reaction score
Did you pull the trans and do all that other stuff ? I know guys weresaying to put a good valve body in it and then just use part of the tugger kit.

Isobaric

Reaction score
If you are mechanically inclined, just do the Tugger kit.
If you aren't, do a JW or BTS valve body.
You will have to pull the transmission to complete the pump mods for the Tugger.

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
Did you pull the trans and do all that other stuff ? I know guys weresaying to put a good valve body in it and then just use part of the tugger kit.
No I just did the VB mods and the "calibration" plate behind the VB
Made the shifts firmer and on time, no delay of shifts now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Smokin 6.0

Reaction score
I think that's what I'm gunna do for now. Did you have the calibration plate drilled out or just use it right out of the kit ? Where did you get your VB and kit from ?

trackspeeder

Reaction score
TransGo instructions will guide you through the whole process. It's really easy to do.

Remember to drill your holes on the small side. You can always make them bigger. You can't make them smaller.

Torque all bolts 80-100 Inch pounds.

Isobaric

Reaction score
Would it benifit/hurt to install all the transgo kit with my jwvb ?

You have nothing to gain by installing the TransGo VB mods in the JW valve body.
There is a potential for decreased performance, say if you over-sized an orifice that has previously been massaged by JW.
This is not a case where 'more is better'.

Isobaric

Reaction score
I really don't know how to say what I'm trying to say anymore explicitly, but here goes...
A modified valve body and a kit from TransGo is redundant.
All of the valve body components that are included with the Tugger have already been replaced by whoever built the valve body.
The only difference is that a builder will have their own formula for how large each orifice needs to be for a given HP rating. DIY'er is going to use trial and error to establish the optimal shift characteristics, with some guidance from the TransGo instructions.
Option 1: If you are confident in your mechanical abilities, buy the Tugger and install the valve body and pump mods yourself.
Option 2: Buy a pre-built VB of your choosing, and install the pump mods separately.
Option 3: Buy a pre-built VB of your choosing, skip the pump mods.
Pick one. Options 1 and 2 require the transmission to be removed from the truck.

Smokin 6.0

Reaction score
I had seen on here were guys were using vb's with the transgon plate only and wasn't sure if that was the route I needed to go or not

Reaction score
When you buy a valve body from jw or bts your only getting the accumulator body and plate. If you buy the tugged kit it comes with stuff to upgrade all the valve bodies and it comes with instructions and drill bits to increase the size of some of the holes in the big main flow plate under all the valve bodies. One hole you even close off. Plus the new boost valve and stuff for the pump. If you want your shifts firmed up a bit and nothing else just get a pre built vb and be done with it. If you want it to shift and act like a built Trans then skip the pre built vb order the tugged kit and install every piece it says to install. Add a decent billet converter and other than the power handling capabilities you will have a Trans that acts like a bts. And if you don't get crazy with running big hp tunes it will live for a good while. I have installed both. My dad's trans we rebuilt with billet converter and stock clutches and a bts vb and it does awesome for a tuned truck but does not shift lIke a bts. A buddy of mine built his with billet intermediate shaft and billet planetary. He had forward and direct drum cryo treated and used a tugged kit and alto clutches and billet converter and it shifts and acts exactly like my bts. So the tugged kit does make a difference. If it were mine and i didnt want to build it just yet I would do the tugged kit and good converter. Sorry for the long post. Guess I'm long winded today. Lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.