Transmission failure during flush

sadoc

Reaction score
I have an 2006 F250 King Ranch.( Has head studs/EGR delete, running TSD's mild panty dropper tune, otherwise stock). Has 120k miles. Earlier this week I took it to the local dealer for fuel filters and a transmission flush (they are the only ones in town with a flush machine and are 150 yards from my office). I stay on top of maintenance and tranny has been serviced every 30k miles.
Truck had been running great. Had an injector go out a few months back, but since then no issues. They called me later that afternoon and said that after the flush , it won't go into gear and pump is not building pressure. No codes showing.
They have never had this happen and aren't sure exactly what happened. They've got the tranny out and are suspecting pump failure. They agree it wasn't a pre-existing problem and are covering the repairs on their dime.
Have any of you guys seen a tranny failure occur during a flush?

slc dzl

Reaction score
Quote from Mark.

You can't flush the trans unless you have a heated flush machine. If the trans isn't above 170°F the whole time the thermostat will be closed and you'll recirculate fluid instead of flushing it.

so my question is how did they flush it?

01PSD

Reaction score
He said they used a flush machine...

I'm gonna say something was dislodged during the flush process and the pump said *** YO COUCH NUGGA!!!

sadoc

Reaction score
I have no idea what type of flush machine. Its a Ford dealer, so I assume whatever the standard flush machine Ford recommends. They do tons of flushes, and did 3 more the same day after my failure on the same machine.
We are in a small town and trucks/diesels are a huge part of their business.

sadoc

Reaction score
I'm gonna say you don't know what you're talking about.

So what would the "Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer"'s explanation be for the failure?
Does the flush machine used at Ford dealerships warm the fluid? I had driven the truck about 5 miles that morning, but not sure how long it sat before they did the flush.

suprdzlduty

Reaction score
If they are taking care of it, then you'll be good. I do know from personal experience that 5rs are sensitive on fluid changes/flushes.

Twan

Reaction score
Sounds like you got lucky. Perfect timing if you ask me.

Why do some think a flush would hurt a trany. How is it any different that driving it? I don't think they would send crazy high pressure into the tranny.

Atsah

Reaction score
So what would the "Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer"'s explanation be for the failure?

***ing smart ass.. Who the *** knows what happened when they flushed it, they are taking care of it no cost to you aren't they.. If you search the problem do you get anything, if you do read it but don't come on here being a wise ass to valuable assets to the forum.. We just went through this same crap not three days ago, grow up..

sadoc

Reaction score
What is your freaking problem?? I'm asking an honest question. He is the one with the experience and background to give an educated guess. He said the other guy didn't know what he was talking about, but offered no suggestions as to the cause of the failure.I'm asking his expert opinion.
Don't be such a dick….

Atsah

Reaction score
Asking him a question is one thing but the way you asked with Mark's former credentials in parentheses was being a smartass.. Your the dick buddy..

Last edited:

sadoc

Reaction score
I disagree. He has his credentials listed in his signature. He's probably more qualified than anyone on here to give an opinion. Would be like someone asking me- "Dr Fisher, what do you think could have caused my pancreatitis?"
He has his credentials listed, I was just trying to respect them and his opinion.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Since I didn't see any of this, all I can do is guess. At least I'll guess at something that is possible, not something that is not possible.

My guess is that someone wasn't paying attention to what was going on and let the trans run dry. That will destroy the pump, and he said there was no pressure.
Does the flush machine used at Ford dealerships warm the fluid?
5 miles won't warm the trans enough. Ford dealers have heated flush machines if they bought heated flush machines. If they didn't buy a heated flush machine then they don't have one.

All dealers are independent businesses. Ford doesn't own a single dealership. There is no way to know what equipment each dealership has.

Why do some think a flush would hurt a trany. How is it any different that driving it? I don't think they would send crazy high pressure into the tranny.
I have a theory about that.

Most people ignore the trans until they have a problem. Then they decide to try to fix the problem by doing some much delayed maintenance. They get the trans flushed, but the trans dies soon after. They conveniently forget that the trans had problems before the flush. The flush couldn't fix the damage that they did by ignoring the maintenance, so the trans dies. It would have died without the flush, too.

sadoc

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your input. Is there anything else I need to worry about down the road? If it was run dry, what else could be damaged? Should I have them put in a new torque converter on my dime while they are in there if they are not planning on doing it? Not sure how long they'll warranty it since I'm well past the original warranty period.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
I don't think there is a reason to replace the torque converter unless the pump damaged it. If it did they will have to replace it to be able to install the converter.

sadoc

Reaction score
Great. Thanks again. I'll post an update if they find any other cause for the failure.

sadoc

Reaction score
Just stopped by the shop and talked to the mechanic doing the repairs. His conclusion is that "the pump overheated during the flush". The pump and torque converter were fried. He said inside of transmission looked perfect. Should be back on the road late today.
Gotta give props to Ancira Ford in Floresville, TX. I realize s**t happens from time to time. They immediately stepped up and said they would take care of the problem. A lot of shops would have come up with a reason to blame the customer.

Latest posts

Members online