Transmission help.

little luke

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed a few times, and I've searched the topic for a few days, but I prefer to have some input from y'all before I spend any money. Noticed two nights ago my truck has a shudder in reverse. There is also a delay going from drive to reverse. I'm not aware If there is a shift flare, just because I really don't know what this is. I've read replacing a solenoid and changing the fluid should be my first step. Is this correct? Can someone give me some more info on the part number for this solenoid? Also. Is this just a bandaid or a fix? Like always thanks for the help. Stock transmission with 137000 miles on it.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Has the fluid ever been changed? Old, worn fluid can cause problems with the solenoids. The best way to change the fluid in a TorqShift transmission is with a heated flush machine. Not many places have one, I've only heard of them in Ford dealers, never in a quick lube shop.

The problem is probably a sticky reverse solenoid. I don't have the part number because I know what part I need. I let the counter person find the part number.

F-250-Owner

Reaction score
you can try one of our vendors direct drive solenoid mod....I think Holderdown has them... but from my past experience this is just a band aid... I swapped my transmission when I started getting that 3 to 5 flare.... I know it was on its way out.

little luke

Reaction score
Ill check around to see if anyone can do the flush. Ill check with holderdown about the solenoid. I need the trans to hold up for a few more months until it is warm enough to drive the Mustang. Another question, Who has attempted to rebuild/ upgrade their transmission?

f250power

Reaction score
Before you take it somewhere, hopefully you haven't already, you can do th flush yourself easily. Google powerstroke transmission flush and you will find a link describing exactly how to do it. You need a bucket, 10 feet of clear tubing, 20 quarts of trans fluid, funnel, and some tools. Takes about an hour and a half to do.

I had the same issue and this helped a ton with any shudder or delay. I have a 7.3l so there might be a few differences in the flush, but I'm sure you can find some answers. Good luck if you choos to do it, much cheaper than taking it somewhere I'm sure.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
I have a 7.3l so there might be a few differences in the flush, but I'm sure you can find some answers.
A few differences?!?!?!?

There is one difference that you need to know about.
IT WON'T WORK ON A 5R110 TRANSMISSION!!!!

The 5R110 has an internal thermostat. If the trans temp drops below 170°F the thermostat closes and only 10% of the fluid is sent to the coolers. The rest goes back to the pan. So if you are doing a flush instead of the old fluid being pushed out the cooler line it just gets dumped back to the pan, mixing with the new fluid.

The ONLY way to flush this transmission is with a heated flush machine. They are rare. Some dealers have one, I've never found one outside a dealer.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I agree with Mark there, most people don't realize to do a proper flush on these the thermostat needs to be open, and a heated machine is really the only (easy) way I know of to do this.

Mine was doing this a while ago, shudder and delay going into reverse. It didn't live much longer. Brought it to Ford several times before anything was finally done with it. When the tech tore it apart he said it was one of the worst he had seen. They completely rebuilt it from top to bottom and it has been good ever since. That one that fell apart was a factory reman too, it was junk from the day they put it in, I brought it in several times complaining of erratic shifts etc, and got no where until it finally got so bad they couldn't deny it having any issues. One trip to the dealer they even swapped solenoids around inside... not changed them out, literally took two solenoids out, and put them in opposite spots. They even charged me $100 deductible for that, and it did the same thing pulling out of the parking lot...

Karls03

Reaction score
I was pretty spooled up on 5R110 issues when mine self destructed (thanks Edge Products :flipa:) but I seem to have flushed most of it now.

I do recall the hesitation between D and R going both directions. I seem to also recall a code of P0730 (referred to as the kiss of death). Not aware of the thermostat in the transmission, I only dumped the pan and changed both filters. By the time I added the GoGo Direct clutch solenoid, it was too late. Less than 100 miles later it was on the garage floor. If it starts 3-5 slam shifting and hunting for OD, it's done.

I'm not suggesting this is where yours is or that this is where it's headed, but if you start seeing these things...

As far as the stealership swapping solenoids as a solution, I have 2 things: 1. Do they not know that the solenoids are "keyed" to the valve body because they operated at different pressures? 2. Would they pull this crap with their own ride?

f250power

Reaction score
I stand corrected! Apologies, I just assumed (emphasis on the ass!) it would be similar for a 5r110.

Thanks for the correction/information Mark (and for the flush procedures I used)!

Atsah

Reaction score
Has the fluid ever been changed? Old, worn fluid can cause problems with the solenoids. The best way to change the fluid in a TorqShift transmission is with a heated flush machine. Not many places have one, I've only heard of them in Ford dealers, never in a quick lube shop.

The problem is probably a sticky reverse solenoid. I don't have the part number because I know what part I need. I let the counter person find the part number.

:whs: I would try this first.. I had the same issue you decribe and this flush process worked for me..

little luke

Reaction score
Ill contact the local ford garage and ask if they can do a heated flush tomorrow. If they can't there are a few big dealerships an hour north that I'm sure would be able to do it.

Latest posts

Members online