Transmission issue on my 13

Platinumf250

Reaction score
Getting on the highway this morning about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, running about 70mph, truck went to shift into 5th and just revved and didn't go anywhere. Backed out of the throttle and eased into it again and revved again, was still in 5th. It runs through the gears alright and couldn't duplicate it again. Put it in 5th manually and floored it and it held. Transmission seems like it hunts gears a lot at lower speeds. Always up shifting then down shifting around town.
Think it's the clutchs or a solenoid?

Platinumf250

Reaction score
Trucks been deleted for about 1,000 miles. Sctx4 with innovative tunes on race, and no limit intake are the only mods.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
how many miles are on the truck? It could be tune related but I doubt it, I would also verify the oil level.

Platinumf250

Reaction score
65k on the truck. I'll check the fluid level when I get home this evening. Just had the oil changed 2500 miles ago at a ford dealership so I would assume they would have checked that. No leaks when I was under it the other day.

dangerous1

Reaction score
65k on the truck. I'll check the fluid level when I get home this evening. Just had the oil changed 2500 miles ago at a ford dealership so I would assume they would have checked that. No leaks when I was under it the other day.

Never ever trust a dealership. No matter what they are doing I always verify tat everything is correct before I leave the lot,

Platinumf250

Reaction score
Checked the trans fluid and it was within the ok range, but a little on the low side so I added half a quart. I loaded the hot street tune, was on race. Went and did a couple test runs and it did the same thing two times in a row. Driving it over the past couple weeks it hasn't done it again but has had some hard 4-5 shifts. I like the way the trans shifts around town better on hot street than I did on race.
Is there any updated innovative tunes out?

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Checked the trans fluid and it was within the ok range, but a little on the low side so I added half a quart. I loaded the hot street tune, was on race. Went and did a couple test runs and it did the same thing two times in a row. Driving it over the past couple weeks it hasn't done it again but has had some hard 4-5 shifts. I like the way the trans shifts around town better on hot street than I did on race.
Is there any updated innovative tunes out?

Anyone know when you load a different tune the trams has to do a re-learn on the SCT? I have a mini max and have never used anything else. Maybe give it some time to learn when you load a different tune if that's the case?

When I reload a tune my trans does some funky chit, so I just drive easy on it for the first while...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Platinumf250

Reaction score
Here's a video, if it works. Put it back on race and made a few passes. Did it a few times then didn't do it. Then did it again later at the track.
m.0D19BC9F-6194-4026-9CCC-005753747584_zpskqs3omw6.jpg

Platinumf250

Reaction score
Can't get the video to upload to photobucket and play. What it shows is the truck trying to shift to 5th on a wot pull. As soon as it tries it redlines, the number "1" lights up on my dash like it's trying to shift to first or something. First time I've noticed that. Then I let out of it, it goes back to 4th. Stab the throttle again and when it tries to shift to 5th it just revs. Tried hot street and race and it does it on both. Is there a new update available from in-no-vative?

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Drop your pan and check for metal shavings. To me it seems that your forward clutches are burnt out. You will see material sitting in the bottom of the pan. If that isn't the case, throw a new filter in and some new oil. Add some Dr.Tranny shudder fix too, worked wonders for me.

Pan gasket is reusable too so no need to buy one of those...

williamallen13

Reaction score
I have the same race tuner. When you reload a new tune the transmission gets re-tuned also as if it were new. So for the first couple drives it has to readjust and relearn where the correct pressure is. You should always let the truck relearn or you risk major transmission damage. IPad 2 tuner for over 2 years and I remember the first time it did it scared the crap out of me. I actually had it shift from 5th to first then back to 3rd one time while I was flooring it. Then after reading up on it I found out about the relearn process. With an H & S tuner you have the option to re-tune the transmission or not with SCT you have no choice.

Platinumf250

Reaction score
I picked up some dr tranny shudder fix so I'll try that first. I don't think it's the transmission really. I think it's tune related, or hoping at least. The very first drive after tuning it it had problems with 5th gear. Just never slipped or revved out before. Weird that it just started out of no where.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
I picked up some dr tranny shudder fix so I'll try that first. I don't think it's the transmission really. I think it's tune related, or hoping at least. The very first drive after tuning it it had problems with 5th gear. Just never slipped or revved out before. Weird that it just started out of no where.

Quite possibly just tuning. I would personally load a lower hp tune (50hp tow) after adding the shudder fix and just drive it nicely for a good while to let it learn. I found that to work pretty good for myself. Best of luck to ya man! I was really beating on my truck on a 1000 mile drive when it started acting up and I ended up dropping the pan to check and then changed out my oil and filter. I added that shudder fix and like I mentioned above, just drove it nice for a while and haven't really been able to reproduce the same issue. I don't think, I even got 100% on the throttle for a good couple hundred miles....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jsleboda

Reaction score
I have had the same thing happen to my truck but only while towing. It went from 3rd gear and shifted into 1st while accelerating with RPM's around 3500+ . It has happened multiple times since ******d, which makes me believe it is the tunes also. I believe i have a different tuner and tunes than the other person with this problem.

Last edited:

dsmracing1

Reaction score
I have had the same thing happen to my truck but only while towing. It went from 3rd gear and shifted into 1st with RPM's around 3500+ . It has happened multiple times since ******d, which makes me believe it is the tunes also. I believe i have a different tuner and tunes than the other person with this problem.

I've also had that problem before. The situation that gets me into that is when I'm really beating on the truck from a dig and it spins. Once it grab's third from a dig it will go into neutral basically and then click first and then jump back into third and be ok. I have raced a couple people from a dig and it has done that.....

Platinumf250

Reaction score
Quite possibly just tuning. I would personally load a lower hp tune (50hp tow) after adding the shudder fix and just drive it nicely for a good while to let it learn. I found that to work pretty good for myself. Best of luck to ya man! I was really beating on my truck on a 1000 mile drive when it started acting up and I ended up dropping the pan to check and then changed out my oil and filter. I added that shudder fix and like I mentioned above, just drove it nice for a while and haven't really been able to reproduce the same issue. I don't think, I even got 100% on the throttle for a good couple hundred miles....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tried this and put the truck on tow, drive easy for a hundred miles or so. Got on it and it shifts into fith but you can hear the rpms fluctuate and the truck doesn't pick up speed. Like it's slipping but not enough to redline.

Latest posts

Members online