Transmission Jack for 4r100 R&R?

Jomax

Reaction score
Been searching for quite awhile. What's a good trans Jack?

I was looking at HF, and they carry a 450lb scissor trans Jack, and also a 800lbs pump style trans Jack.

Which one would work better? Also, do I have to make any special adapters to use them on a 4r100??

I plan to pull the trans with the transfer case as one unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD3020

Reaction score
I have one of the HF heavy duty jacks and its pretty nice, albeit sorta sloppy. I've only used it on our 2 manuals though.

For my E4OD i've always used an ATV jack. Made it 100x easier buy putting a flatbottom pan on my trans instead of the stupid stock hump pans.

Jomax

Reaction score
I have one of the HF heavy duty jacks and its pretty nice, albeit sorta sloppy. I've only used it on our 2 manuals though.

For my E4OD i've always used an ATV jack. Made it 100x easier buy putting a flatbottom pan on my trans instead of the stupid stock hump pans.

Other trans going on is a deep pan with a flat bottom. I could swap the pan on the old trans to make it easier.

If I would put the Jack under the pan is the trans and transfer case balanced?

JD3020

Reaction score
Been a while since i pulled it, but i think i was able to use some blocks and make it all balance on the jack. Also use a ratchet strap to keep it from falling off the jack.

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
If I would put the Jack under the pan is the trans and transfer case balanced?

No. The balance would be much farther back.

Been a while since i pulled it, but i think i was able to use some blocks and make it all balance on the jack. Also use a ratchet strap to keep it from falling off the jack.

This^^

You can take a piece of plywood cut it to be slightly larger than pan area. Screw a 2x4, standing up on edge, on each side of the plywood so that the trans sits on the 2x4s along the bolt flange of the pan. Use a ratchet strap or two to ratchet the trans to the jack so it doesn't go anywhere.

Jomax

Reaction score
No. The balance would be much farther back.

This^^

You can take a piece of plywood cut it to be slightly larger than pan area. Screw a 2x4, standing up on edge, on each side of the plywood so that the trans sits on the 2x4s along the bolt flange of the pan. Use a ratchet strap or two to ratchet the trans to the jack so it doesn't go anywhere.

Going off of the pan, would require me to remove the transfer case first, correct? Being it wouldn't be balanced.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
At our shop we drilled 2 holes in our trans jack and put the trans mount stud in them. Then run the nuts tight and it stays pretty good with yhe transfer case on it. Plus works for pretty much all ford rwd trans

ncollins64

Reaction score
I got the HR 800 trans jack and love it. I've pulled several trans with transfer cases still attached with no issues. Wish I would've got it a lot sooner.

Jomax

Reaction score
At our shop we drilled 2 holes in our trans jack and put the trans mount stud in them. Then run the nuts tight and it stays pretty good with yhe transfer case on it. Plus works for pretty much all ford rwd trans

That probably exactly what I'll do.

Plan is to make a detailed pictured write up. Surprisingly there isn't any.

Jomax

Reaction score
I got the HR 800 trans jack and love it. I've pulled several trans with transfer cases still attached with no issues. Wish I would've got it a lot sooner.

That's the one I'll be getting!

Layson

Reaction score
Typically we don't pull the transfer case. It balances fine under the pan. My friend used the harbor freight trans jack and did it all by himself twice....LOL...

Jomax

Reaction score
Typically we don't pull the transfer case. It balances fine under the pan. My friend used the harbor freight trans jack and did it all by himself twice....LOL...

Which jack did he use? The 450 lb or 800?

Layson

Reaction score
4511b97c06c205c6e8ee2f68d1b1a57c.jpg

Spatel23

Reaction score
Which jack did he use? The 450 lb or 800?

You checked out Greg Smith ?
Even just to get an idea and mess around with them hands on if you don't wanna buy there.
The atl showroom usually has a few things you can go tinker around with/on before buying.

Jomax

Reaction score
You checked out Greg Smith ?
Even just to get an idea and mess around with them hands on if you don't wanna buy there.
The atl showroom usually has a few things you can go tinker around with/on before buying.

I've bought a jack from them, I believe they have one in their showroom. that's a great idea! Thanks Shawn.

dsberman94

Reaction score
The scissor jack is fuggin useless on anything larger that a Taurus trans. Too floppy. We actually killed it pulling mine. Bent it right over when we were pulling it. I guess it still gets used but it doesn't lift straight. It's permanently bent one side lower than the other.

jbolen323

Reaction score
you can borrow mine jomax, unless you wanna drop $400-600. Me and zac both have good ones.

leave the tcase on and drop / lift it all in one piece, those bolts suck to undo. only thing you gotta do is jack on the rear of truck once out to pull the trans out from underneath. Text me if you wanna grab it.

dont spend money on the deep pan, unless for looks it doesnt help except for being level on trans jacks but a piece of wood fixes that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online