Transmission suggestions?

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
BTS has a good rep, but I did have a customer that went through three of them with only a 160cc injector and 38r. Did have a big lift and 22.5's though. Shipping them back and forth is $$$ and each both times they went back it was a few months. Last I heard it is still going strong though.

GatorBaitR6

Reaction score
Mines been on the track a few times and I drive her hard every now and then ya know to clean her out and when Brian had to fix the pump I exploded into 4 pieces he said the trans itself looked great. Pump, not so much and that was from hitting the redline too many times. Apparently that breaks the front pump, Mickey Thompson Baja Claws + dragstrip = traction nightmare....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cbf9703

Reaction score
No hassle shipping a BTS to California. He pays 1/2 and you pay 1/2. You can return your core in the shipping container he supplies. BTS has a one size fits all, generally. There have been posts about a long lead time for builds.

John Wood has different levels of builds depending on use. He's in SoCal.
I've heard good things about John Woods. Having gone through BTS for multiple warranty claims, I would say try to find someone reputable that's closer to you.

Don't forget when you buy a BTS your also buying his warranty and the backing of his product... I had to wait 6-7 months... Best wait ever... I also didn't grenade my trans yet... Not to be an ass but if your blowing through them that much don't you think something else is going on like your foot is broken...? :lookaround:
And just because you buy the warranty doesn't mean that you'll get the tranny back in a timely manner when something does happen. There's a few threads that show that. I've been there, done that, won't again.

BTS has a good rep, but I did have a customer that went through three of them with only a 160cc injector and 38r. Did have a big lift and 22.5's though. Shipping them back and forth is $$$ and each both times they went back it was a few months. Last I heard it is still going strong though.
Yep, shipping costs add up quick.

Jomax

Reaction score
I use a local trans builder and quite a few local guys are using to. Great trans! Plus he's two hours away....

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

mandkole

Reaction score
^^^this.. You just have to find the builder. The secret sauce to making a 4R100 live is well known by many trans builders now.

GatorBaitR6

Reaction score
I'm glad this came over as funny because that's what I meant. I know people get butt hurt on here so this is good.

Kylerf150

Reaction score
John Woods Trans

I was experiencing similar issues you have had. After putting in bigger injectors and a larger turbo (which I grenaded yesterday :( !!)

1.Stock trans
2. Ford heavy duty towing trans.
3. Ford trans
4. John Woods racing transmission.

John is a awesome guy to deal with. I smoked the second and third Ford transmissions hualing cows up here in montana. I ordered a John Woods transmission and smoked one of those due to a manufacturing problem with the guy that builds his Billet forward drums. He was very helpful in diagnosing what was wrong and the guy knows his stuff. We talked on the phone and he had me send him a video of how it was acting. I had to ship that transmission all the way back too California and it didn't cost me a thing he paid for the shipping, rebuild and new Shaeffer's fluid (which by the way that stuff is the cats meow). My truck was back on the road by the next week.
Later I had weird shifting problems. Probably due to the contamination of the cooler from the last burn up. I flush everything best I could but must not of got it all out. Well John sent me a whole shift solenoid pack on his dime Didn't cost me a thing!!
Haven't had I lick of problems in the last 2 years. This last summer I pulled 4 27000lbs loads from the hay field and that baby didn't miss a beat.

It shifts great doesn't have hard shifts like most built up transmissions do.Which is better for your whole drive train.

My buddy put a ATS in his 6.4 and has had nothing but problems and has had very heated conversation with them trying to get them to stand behind their name.He no longer owns that truck!!

You can't go wrong with using a guy that stands behind his name John Woods!!! He is my transmission guy for life even if I live thousands of miles away.

He offers a program where you can actually come watch him build it and learns you up on how it all works. Pretty cool!!

At least spend a few minutes to check him out.
http://jwtt.com/services[url] John...ng troubles I could probably PM you his cell.

Last edited:

mtsnowrunner

Reaction score
If call John Woods and talk to him you won't buy a BTS. I have a Street Master on order from Woods. Badass list of parts. I've never seen BTS actually list their build sheet.

squad32

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advise. I'm calling Wood on Monday too see how soon I can part ways with Uncle Sam's $$$.

GatorBaitR6

Reaction score
If it were a new company I could see why it would matter. But there's a reason BTS doesn't really do advertisements in diesel magazines and what not. It has been proven it works and works well. I wouldn't expect a company that has been known to be good to share their way of doing things. That's how sinister happens. Cough cough.

mtsnowrunner

Reaction score
If you figure out that BTS pretty much charges one price for most builds its makes you wonder how that's possible. When I said I have stage 2's but might go to 3's the price was the same. I've talk to a few people that have seen them fail and when they pulled the trans apart they were lacking The upgraded hard parts that it should have been built with.
I don't think for $4,500 he can build a trans that will hold 600+ HP. I've never seen BTS actually list what they were giving you. I Know Brian's a great guy and has built thousands of trans I just thought the list of hard parts Woods actually says you get sounds better.
John Woods says 450-800 HP for one build that cost $6,000. That sounds more realistic for a built trans with the long list of parts he gives. Woods was also only 3 weeks out. After talking to both I felt more comfortable spending more money with Woods.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Since you're in California, you can also look into John wood
this^^^
BTS gets my number one vote. There's also racer X usa.
racer x? haven't heard much good about them.
If you figure out that BTS pretty much charges one price for most builds its makes you wonder how that's possible. When I said I have stage 2's but might go to 3's the price was the same. I've talk to a few people that have seen them fail and when they pulled the trans apart they were lacking The upgraded hard parts that it should have been built with.
I don't think for $4,500 he can build a trans that will hold 600+ HP. I've never seen BTS actually list what they were giving you. I Know Brian's a great guy and has built thousands of trans I just thought the list of hard parts Woods actually says you get sounds better.
John Woods says 450-800 HP for one build that cost $6,000. That sounds more realistic for a built trans with the long list of parts he gives. Woods was also only 3 weeks out. After talking to both I felt more comfortable spending more money with Woods.
brian told me that i couldn't hurt mine with a fuel only 7.3... i have one of the first transmission he started using all 300m parts in.. he set it for 500hp and said all i had to do is call him and he would walk me through how to set it up for anything more if i ever went higher... also told me to try and break it.. if i could he would fix it... unlimited miles unlimited hp 2 yr warranty. but he has taken care of me and many others out of the 2 yr warranty time frame.. except frank and its clan... guess they are getting some super secret nasa enhanced trans cuz its been a while... how many snikers bars have you all ate while waiting, frank?

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.