Transmission temps to the mooooon!

Notneb

Reaction score
So I've already replied in the Oil cooler thread about my transmission temps, but I've decided it needs it's own thread for a few reasons.

1. This is a brand new truck, with 5200 miles on it.
2. If any of the tunes or supporting mods are affecting the trans this much, people should know.
3. Whatever fix I come up with will hopefully help people that run into the same problem.

So todays conditions were 82 degrees ambient, driving in town stop and go. No trailer, no hot rodding, just normal driving, albeit maybe a little spirited, but nothing crazy.
008_zpsyga6zm0i.jpg

As you can see here, truck says it's 82 out.

018_zpswhfa5ne9.jpg

And here you can see that even though the analog says trans temps are mid range, I'm looking at 234 on the digital readout.

I've yet to hear of this with anyone else, especially on a new truck. Maybe it's just the reduction in clutch packs with the added power really heats up the transmission, or maybe the trans temp tolerances are much higher than I thought judging by the analog readout. Either way, I'm not comfortable with almost hitting 240 degree temps just tooling around town. I have a move coming up and will be towing a measly 8000lbs, but still, if she gets this hot without any load... Lets just say the pucker factor is high.

I'm toying with a B&D extruded cooler kit for it, anyone run this kit? Not sure if I need the Double Stack they make. Any thoughts would be welcome!

jcain

Reaction score
My coworker had this issue with his 12 and I put a new trans cooler in and flushed the trans and all was back to normal.

Notneb

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure your trans is on the way out or your secondary cooling system has no coolant in it

Bingo, don't know why this wasn't the first place I looked but yup, clean out of coolant. Turns out I forgot to tighten down a coolant line for the secondary when I did the EGR ******. So yeah I feel dumb :p *cough*

WatchTryst

Reaction score
What is the "normal" trans operating temperature range? I know that there could be many influencing factors, but I'm talking around town driving with no load and outdoor temperature of 80 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rupp250

Reaction score
I would also do a flush on the trans since that fluid has been heated so high. Check the trans fluid and I'm sure it is a slight brown color and will smell burnt.

Reaction score
At least you owned up to your own mistake, and now that goes on a watch list for the rest of us, I actually like the small things like this on some of these threads, I'm sure that could easily be a common mistake

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Notneb

Reaction score
At least you owned up to your own mistake, and now that goes on a watch list for the rest of us, I actually like the small things like this on some of these threads, I'm sure that could easily be a common mistake

Yeah, it really could be. I did 4 upgrades at once, was bound to miss something!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

agreed, especially if you are excited to get it done and miss a simple step! been there done that

live life full throttle

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Normal operation temp is between 190-215 depending on load and outside temp and how much heat the turbo is dumping into the cooler.
Never ran out of coolant but for sure had those caps crack and fail on me. H&S kinda dropped the ball on this item. Amazing how such a minor thing can cause so much trouble.

My temps when pulling toyhauler (gross of 25klbs) is right in the low 190s, unless it's shifting a bit. Then can get as high as 200. Never seen the trans on my '12 get hot.

Notneb

Reaction score
Yeah so far just toodling around with my 16ft cargo trailer, 200-210 is the normal range at 80-90 degrees ambient. Amazing what coolant in your secondary will do! Amazingly the trans fluid is still red, and doesn't smell burnt, still going to flush it to be safe.

Latest posts

Members online