Trouble starting when cold out

99Stroke

Reaction score
My 99 7.3 is having trouble starting when its 32 and below unless its plugged in. It turns over fine has good oil pressure, glow plugs are good along with the relay, and its getting fuel. It blows a considerable amount of white smoke when its turning over and when it first starts. Any ideas?

yzrmbsg

Reaction score
I've been noticing the same thing with mine, and the searching I have done has pretty much come up with "it's normal", or injector o-rings.

TERRCO

Reaction score
Ever since I installed the stancor on mine I havent had any trouble. Of course I live in south Texas and It doesnt get very cold here. I started it in 32 degrees last week and it started like it was 100 degrees. Wait to start light on maybe 5 seconds no more.Vroom! Also it doesnt stay cold for days on end here.

bad12jr

Reaction score
Jumper the relay with an insulated screwdriver for 30 seconds and see if it starts. Also Check and triple check your grounds.

Sent from my x2 chillin in the middle of no where

TERRCO

Reaction score
This is exactly what I used to do. I carried an extra long screwdriver in the cab. I wouldn't hold it that long though.

99Stroke

Reaction score
Ya Im from Vermont and right now the past few days have been averaging 0-25 out haha. It only started doing it this year. Last year I could start it up in 0 degree weather and itd fire up just fine now if I dont plug it in when its 32 or below no matter how many times I run the GPs it still wont start.

abbottfarms

Reaction score
Are you 100% sure your GP relay is working? I'd try jumping the relay on a cold morning to see if that makes a difference.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
If there is any chance the glow plugs, or the glow plug relay could be bad that's where I would start. Those two components are essential for starting a 7.3 below 32. Also try checking or cleaning the battery grounds.

Is there any chance your starter or batteries are getting weak? Another two things that would cause you problems.

99Stroke

Reaction score
If there is any chance the glow plugs, or the glow plug relay could be bad that's where I would start. Those two components are essential for starting a 7.3 below 32. Also try checking or cleaning the battery grounds.

Is there any chance your starter or batteries are getting weak? Another two things that would cause you problems.
I tested the batteries, glow plugs, and relay last week and they were all good. As I said it turns over great it just doesnt want to fire. I got a Mean Green starter for it a month or two ago.

99Stroke

Reaction score

Latest posts

Members online