Truck broke down, need opinions

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
A flat rate guy can have a TorqShift out pretty quick. Hell a rear cover doesn't pay much more than 6 hours warranty and that's more work than swapping a flywheel. Be generous at two hours diag, but if its still in the parking lot it probably hasn't even really been diagnosed.

Mdub707

Reaction score
My best guess was they went out to try and start it, realized it wouldn't start and pretty much gave up at that. Hopefully they get it done soon. Even though I don't drive it much lately, when I do need it, I NEED IT. Also supposed to be a local diesel club get together this weekend, and of course all I have now is the TDI... lame haha.

Any idea what the cost of a stock flywheel is?

Mdub707

Reaction score
I'm trying to look up the P/N. I've found this: 3C3P-6375-AC

But that number doesn't seem to work on Tousley's site (I just use this site for price reference for the most part). However if you go through the individual parts list I get to: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION / AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION / AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION / DRIVE PLATE

Is the "drive plate" the flex plate? I'm assuming it is. Says MSRP is $118, they list it for $78. Not as bad as I thought it would be, IF that's actually it... I see some used flex plates on ebay in the $50-$75 range, so that seems on par... Can someone verify that P/N or find the right one? Thanks.

Mdub707

Reaction score
They should have it done in two hours, gonna be costly I bet though.

If the part is ~$120... even if they take 4 hours to do it... That's still around $500 or so!? I guess expensive is a relative term. Everything is expensive at this point, but I really don't have many options right now. Currently house hunting and definitely getting a place with a large garage hopefully. This taking it to the dealer stuff sucks.

MINK

Reaction score
If the part is ~$120... even if they take 4 hours to do it... That's still around $500 or so!? I guess expensive is a relative term. Everything is expensive at this point, but I really don't have many options right now. Currently house hunting and definitely getting a place with a large garage hopefully. This taking it to the dealer stuff sucks.

$250 out and $250 in for most shops around here, not sure what dealer will charge.

So $5-800 for a flex plate, ouch - glad I have a lift.

Mdub707

Reaction score
It beats putting a $3k transmission in, which is exactly what I thought let go when it first happened.

It sucks for sure, but I've got literally no other options. It broke down at night time, had to have AAA tow it, and wasn't even sure where to have it towed. This dealer is very close to my house so it's convenient, but at 9pm at night, what else can you do? Not really any competent diesel places around here at all, and definitely not within the 100 mile radius that AAA tows to. If I had the lift I'd be doing it myself too. Unfortunately I'm renting a house right now and it has a single bay garage that would barely hold my gf's escape. Just not in the cards right now. Like I said, we're currently house hunting and a big garage is pretty high on the priority list.

blk350on20s

Reaction score
Its 100% flex plate. Just did my buddies. It separates at the stamp. Hour out and an hour in for me but a dealers gonna have prolly 4 or 5 hours in it. New flex plate and bolts is around 150 bucks

06_Whitebull

Reaction score
Is the "drive plate" the flex plate? I'm assuming it is.

Flexplate is in automatics, flywheel is in manuals, both are a driveplate. I think it sounds like the starters drive gear isn't engaging the flexplate. So my guess is the flexplate.

Marty

Reaction score
First off... holy crap at $500 for a starter, I had to put one in my truck cause the 1st one literally fell off the truck when the mounting tabs broke off, but it was only $180 or $220 from autozone (was a sunday and my only option) been on the truck for at least 2+ years now.

Sounds like the tech is on the right track to actually diagnosing the problem, least he is willing to figure it out before blowing $500 of your money for no reason. Certainly a starter wouldn't cause a disconnect between the engine and transmission, flex plate or TQ sound like a good place to start.

500 fir a starter at Ford is not bad. 436.87 is how much the part costs and there us usually a one hour minimum.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Its 100% flex plate. Just did my buddies. It separates at the stamp. Hour out and an hour in for me but a dealers gonna have prolly 4 or 5 hours in it. New flex plate and bolts is around 150 bucks

Figures.

Flexplate is in automatics, flywheel is in manuals, both are a driveplate. I think it sounds like the starters drive gear isn't engaging the flexplate. So my guess is the flexplate.

Thanks. The one I found said for auto so it's probably right. Not that it matters, I was just trying to get a rough estimate of the cost.

How common are these to break, it seems like it's never ending, I fix one thing and another breaks...

Shopping for 6.4's now. :shrug: (yes I realize they're the same trans basically).

MINK

Reaction score
Figures.

Thanks. The one I found said for auto so it's probably right. Not that it matters, I was just trying to get a rough estimate of the cost.

How common are these to break, it seems like it's never ending, I fix one thing and another breaks...

Shopping for 6.4's now. :shrug: (yes I realize they're the same trans basically).

lol I have a 6.0 flexplate in my 6.4 - that isnt gonna give you anything but higher repair bills at the dealer.

My 6.4 has treated me well but like I said, I know people or have my own means of mods/repair so it will never go to a dealer.

Mdub707

Reaction score
lol I have a 6.0 flexplate in my 6.4 - that isnt gonna give you anything but higher repair bills at the dealer.

My 6.4 has treated me well but like I said, I know people or have my own means of mods/repair so it will never go to a dealer.

You have a 6.0 converter in your truck too?

As for higher repair bills at the dealer... maybe. When it goes to the dealer... which should be quite less than this truck has.

I asked the question a while back. Plus I've been wanting to upgrade to a CC truck anyways, might be a good time to do it. http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4253

Its not that common. When i looked around for my buddy i found 2 instances.

Yeah I'm seeing it's not common. Of course it would happen to me. Anything that could fail has for me!:ford:

Mdub707

Reaction score
So I swung by the dealer last night after hours as I had to get some parts out of my truck for my buddy. I find my truck parked in the same spot (no surprise) with the doors unlocked... real nice.

And I also find this:

20121016_175422.jpg

Ok so you got the starter off and I'm assuming figured out if it was the flex plate or not right? But I don't get a phone call because.... WTF. Story of my life with Ford dealerships.

06_Whitebull

Reaction score
Two things, one, I wonder how long that starter has been laying there???? B, did you crawl under it and take a peeksy?

And D: an unlocked truck, thats BS. I'd raise all HELL about that and what you mentioned about the phone call.

Mdub707

Reaction score
It was dark and I was in a super rush last night, so no I didn't check out the truck anymore than that.

That would have been pretty hilarious... grab the starter out of the truck haha

Latest posts

Members online