Truck home from Ford and say I need new engine...

rrod

Reaction score
So after 2 mechanics with conflicting diagnosis I took the truck to Sawgrass Ford and had them run their Ford diags on the truck. Around lunch, I got a call from service advisor saying that tech ran truck as well as numerous tests.
Contrary to the first mechanic shop, (this is Ford's writing on service form)all the injectors were within spec limits -3 to 5. They also ran relative compression check and all cylinders were even. Ran power balance test all good. Check low and high pressure fuel test, both pass. RUN CRANKCASE PRESSURE TEST..ENGINE CRANKCASE PRESSURE AT 20 IN. AT 3000 RPM. MAX ALLOWED IS 10 IN. ENGINE PISTON/CYLINDERS WORN OUT.

This was Ford's finding. Basically pass all it's test but has excessive blowby and deemed engine to be worn and lost power. They said the reason it's not running bad or rough is that each cylinder worn evenly and all have the same wear decrease. Basically explained that if cylinder #1 had worn by 20% then all the cylinders evenly worn by 20%. Said its extremely rare and has only seen 3 other 6.4's like this and the only real truth would be when the engine is opened up... quote around the $20k mark for engine... Total fawking BS.
Anyone on here know how to interpret this?

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
what was your concern with the truck in the first place?

rrod

Reaction score
Lol yea $20k for long and labor is right. I think they see a king ranch and are like, let's see if we can f*ck this guy.

Original concern was smoke out exhaust when I had it straight piped. Thought is was bad turbo seal from finding light signs oil in down pipe. Factory exhaust back on and smoke went away. Has to be bc of DPF

Will post video in a little while

Cknox121

Reaction score
Lol yea $20k for long and labor is right. I think they see a king ranch and are like, let's see if we can f*ck this guy.

Original concern was smoke out exhaust when I had it straight piped. Thought is was bad turbo seal from finding light signs oil in down pipe. Factory exhaust back on and smoke went away. Has to be bc of DPF

Will post video in a little while

What color smoke?

Sent from my cracked iPhone using Tapatalk

Dzchey21

Reaction score
oil smoke shouldnt really get trapped in the dpf but if its oil smoke then there is a good chance it could be worn out. You didnt say anything about mileage on the engine?

rrod

Reaction score
The smoke was a very very light hazy greyish blue smoke. Like oil mixed with un burnt diesel. Was very light and found oil in down pipe.

A side note I literally just received my black stone oil report and everything checked out phenomenally. Not a trace of oil or fuel in the oil. How can I have blow by if fuel is not getting into oil? Is that possible?

Will post video and black stone report when I get home.

Mileage is 104,759 right now.

rrod

Reaction score
oil smoke shouldnt really get trapped in the dpf but if its oil smoke then there is a good chance it could be worn out. You didnt say anything about mileage on the engine?

Then that should be good news. Likely I was not smelling correctly and could be vapors? Now with dpf on there is no smoke and before it came out very light almost like a vapor but it would leave a really light trail for only a about 3-5 seconds from a stop

rrod

Reaction score
I would be very suspicious that they didn't give you exact compression numbers for each cylinder.
what do you mean? According to relative compression they are all in line with each other.

watch your oil level. I bet it's turbos
Oil has been pretty steady. I noticed it has dropped a little bit but not much, which would be in-line with the light smoke that I noticed on and off when I had the straight pipe.

I have attached the blackstone report too. The oil report honestly makes me feel a lot better that my engine isn't coming apart internally and metals are't floating around all over my engine like the first mechanic claimed to have noticed. According to oil report the engine looks pretty healthy..

Couldn't get a video because it was too dark and truck was cold by time I got home.

Attachments

• 08 F250-082614-1-1-2.jpg
    08 F250-082614-1-1-2.jpg
    463.6 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

Dzchey21

Reaction score
The smoke was a very very light hazy greyish blue smoke. Like oil mixed with un burnt diesel. Was very light and found oil in down pipe.

A side note I literally just received my black stone oil report and everything checked out phenomenally. Not a trace of oil or fuel in the oil. How can I have blow by if fuel is not getting into oil? Is that possible?

Will post video and black stone report when I get home.

Mileage is 104,759 right now.

IF there is oil in the downpipe then its one of the turbos...

Stroked777

Reaction score
Could oil be blowing past the rings and out the exhaust?

Edit: being blown past the rings is the wrong choice of words. Can't the oil be coming from the piston area as well

NWA stroker 72

Reaction score
Mine starting doing the same thing but it was CCV mod causing oil not to drain from turbos and running out the exhaust. Took off the mod and no smoke.

Latest posts

Members online