truck idles fine but dies within 1/4 mile of driving

Plowdaddy519H

Reaction score
I've been fighting this truck for the last 4 days, trying to figure out what is wrong. I left the other day, get about 2 miles and suddenly the truck started running rough, started losing power, then died. I've changed the fuel filter (started but did the same thing over again), cps (had a p0340 code) still no start, buzz test aborted as did the KOEO test (changed IDM), and charged the batteries for about an hour, (no start) watched the fuel bowl fill up, looks like it's pumping air for the first few seconds then fuel comes out but not with much pressure and it was very bubbly, I tightened the filter down some ran the pump till it just started squirting fuel, tightened it, and the truck started, kinda rough, but still started. Let it run for a few minutes, swapped the IDM back to my stock one, and started and idled again, took it for a spin, and made it 1/4 mile before it died. I'm thinking fuel pump, or something to do with the fuel system. Anyone else ran into this?

Plowdaddy519H

Reaction score
yes, it's below a 1/4. Now on another note, I have a Raptor RP-100 pump that I was planning on running as a lift pump to supply the main pump with. The only thing about that it, it has 1/2 inch lines. I also have the mount for a fuel filter set with for 1/2 inch lines as well. Is there any way to use what I have there? Or do I need to get all new fittings and lines to make all of it work?

Last edited:

BigAlsPSD

Reaction score
Yeah try adding fuel first to get it above 1/4 if it runs fine then, sounds like you still have to go in the tank to reattach or replace the pickup foot or duckbill. Or never let it get below 1/4, lol.

Plowdaddy519H

Reaction score
LOL that wouldn't be fun. Right now I'm trying to piece together how much the stuff will be to do the hutch mod, and mount my lift pump, it wouldn't make much sense to do one and not the other.

BigAlsPSD

Reaction score
I removed the screens installed the tubing, and instead of a lift pump, I just kept the stocker with a inline filter just before the pump. NAPA 3007 around $5

NapaFuelFilter3007.jpg

Plowdaddy519H

Reaction score
I believe I have found the culprit. I charged the batteries today, cracked the fuel bowl open, cycled the key till fuel just started to come out, tightened it up, hit the key and it fired up, after a minute, it straightened itself out, rev'd fine, so I left it idling for 15-20 minutes. Now this is the first time I've had it running during the day, so I took a look around under the truck and found the fuel tank covered in fuel. So i believe I now have a junk fuel line.

Plowdaddy519H

Reaction score
Pull the bed and do the in tank stuff. You will be glad you did.

i would love to, but here's the story on this truck. I bought it for $1500 because the body is not exactly perfect, the bed is pretty rusted and dented on the driver's side, and underneath, if I take the bed off, I'm not going to want to put it back on.

Plowdaddy519H

Reaction score
Well guys, I'm back up and running. I ended up changing things a bit. I ended up using a Wix 33003 instead of a 33007, a 5/16 filter didn't make much sense with a 3/8 line. I ran the 3/8 line from the tank, the 33003 filter, holley blue, some more line, to the stock pump. All I can say right now is WOW! It seems to run much quieter, and smoother. I won't say it added any power, but it seems to have made the truck easier to drive. I was in a hurry to get it put together today so I'll get pics in a day or two.

Latest posts

Members online