Truck shut off and now wont fire

Strokin Platinum

Reaction score
I got my new to me truck running for the first time i believe its been running in over a year. It ran perfectly fine for a solid 10 minutes then it shut of just like someone turned the key off. CPS is good and it has the wait to start light but the truck wont fire. Any ideas?

Strokin Platinum

Reaction score
There was alot of white smoke before it shut off when the truck was warming up. I havnt checked all of the fuses but my wts light and all those come on. Could the idm be a suspect?

Last edited:
Reaction score
When you try and start it again does white smoke come out? If there is thats a good thing. Your getting fuel to the heads.
Whats your ICP doing? Have you grounded that out or checked the voltage?

Strokin Platinum

Reaction score
Update: I got off work today and for giggles i tryed starting it, it ended up starting up... After about 10 minutes it shut off and wont fire upon cranking. so it did the same thing it did yesterday.

Tom S

Reaction score
You are going to have to have some tools to look at a few things to have a hope of figuring this out.

Bugman

Reaction score
Just a couple of things to check is the oil level and when was the last time that it was changed also pull the lid off of the fuel filter housing and see if there is any fuel in it.

Strokin Platinum

Reaction score
Well i decided to mess with the icp sensor a little bit and found out it was snapped in half :doh:, it was making just enough contact to start and then was vibrating off. Also found out the drivers side valvecover harness was unplugged, that explains why when it was running i thought it sounded a little off. This weekend I'm going to try a new icp and get a scan tool on it. Hoping the icp sensor fixes it. On a side note there is white smoke when cranking and the oil level is good although i am going to change it soon because its been sitting so long. I will report my findings after this weekend. I appreciate all the help everyone! :thumbsup:

Reaction score
Good luck.
If everything checks out fine and no codes are showing but still having the problem....check your IDM.
I kinda had a similar problem, but my ICP and all the above were fine. Finally came down to my IDM went bad.

Strokin Platinum

Reaction score
I read your thread and was kinda wondering about the idm until I found that icp sensor. Hopefully i will know more tomorrow or sunday. Thanks for the responses everyone.

Strokin Platinum

Reaction score
Alright the truck started up awesome tonight. Let it idle and it got warm but it didn't shut off until we tried running a scan for codes with the engine on, the truck immediately shut off because it couldn't measure icp due to the sensor being broke. The only two codes we got were: one for the icp sensor being gone, and the other was ipr circuit fault which i am guessing is due to the icp being down. And what i found strange is it would not fire after it shut off and it was measuring 2400 psi when trying to start...:lookaround: Any input?

Tom S

Reaction score
An ICP value of 2465 is a false reading when the PCM is not happy. How is the wiring going to the IPR?

Strokin Platinum

Reaction score
The wiring seems alright ill have to take a closer look at it tomorrow when i swap in a spare icp. Would the computer thinking its at 2400 psi make it bleed down enough pressure so the injectors can't fire?

Strokin Platinum

Reaction score
Well i replaced the icp sensor and it starts and runs. it shut it self off twice and both times it started right back up. A couple times I shut it off it would just crank and not fire like it wasn't getting oil pressure but for the most part shes running alot better. I think my next step is to clean the ipr and take a closer look at the wiring. I don't know what else it could be. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Latest posts

Members online