truck stalls and dies wont start anymore.

ghostriderblk

Reaction score
I was coming off a 16 hour shift started my 2000 7.3 up let it idle for about 15-20 min to get warm like i always do. (BTW truck ran fine before work it was about 26 degrees) Get in start to drive it and it has a bad buck and chug to it. finally about 1 mile down the road it dies completely. so i start it again and its chugging and idling poorly like crazy. pull in parking lot barley and let it idle til my coolant gauge is where it normally is thinking that because we are in negative temps here now for the first time in the season had something to do with it. it was also blowing white smoke out when revving. i also came to a hill trying to limp it home loosing power the whole way and then cutting off half way up the hill. trying to start it and it turns over trys to fire but just wont. so i checked fuel bowl and plenty of fuel in the bowl. thought maybe i got non winterized fuel but not sure if having a full fuel bowl would rule that out. im gonna get some 911 diesel and new fuel filter and poor some in tank and in fuel bowl. My next guess would be CPS but i was thinking the weather was the cause so i don't think this would be the problem but will change it anyways and have a spare. ive looked into ICP but usually go in hot weather. I am hoping its not the HPOP. service light is not on but im gonna scan it see what i get hopefully something is thrown. any of you experience this?

ghostriderblk

Reaction score
140k on the truck and minor mods
5 inch exhaust
riff raff intake
ballbearing turbo.
brand new glow plugs 1 year ago
tonywild chip
never touched anything else

1500 miles on oil change

Last edited:

Arisley

Reaction score
Check fuel pressure.

Down and dirty check. Put a hose fuel drain tube. Put the end of the hose in a glass container. Open drain valve and turn truck on. Fuel pump should put out a quart in about fifteen seconds.

Last edited:

ghostriderblk

Reaction score
Check fuel pressure.

Down and dirty check. Put a hose fuel drain tube. Put the end of the hose in a glass container. Open drain valve and turn truck on. Fuel pump should put out a quart in about fifteen seconds.

ill check that out thanks

Arisley

Reaction score
Something else I just thought of. Does it only do it with the headlights on, but runs fine with the headlights off?

Had my truck do exactly what yours is doing. Turn the headlights off and it would pick up and run perfect. Replaced the Alternator and al was well. Never, ever heard of anybody elses truck doing that.

ghostriderblk

Reaction score
Something else I just thought of. Does it only do it with the headlights on, but runs fine with the headlights off?

Had my truck do exactly what yours is doing. Turn the headlights off and it would pick up and run perfect. Replaced the Alternator and al was well. Never, ever heard of anybody elses truck doing that.

no headlights were off i didnt have them on coming and going from work. if i can get it to run again at idle ill check voltage quick see if it charging i know these trucks need all the juice they can get.

ghostriderblk

Reaction score
nothing came out of fuel bowl key on and valve open had noting. bought a new filter put diesel 911 in there with filter. and the rest in the tank im wondering if my fuel level sender is off and im out of fuel. so much possibility. fuel pump is hard to tell if its running i put my hand on it to see if i could feel it run but i cant seem to tell. so tomorrow im gonna get 5 gal of diesel fuel poor it in with antigel supplement and see if it fires up if not ill check fuses relays and finally buy a pump if that's the culprit. thanks for the help so far

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
gauge show 1/4 tank? with the key on and if your under the truck by the fuel pump you should be able to hear it or feel it! if not, prolly blown fuse..

live life full throttle

ghostriderblk

Reaction score
gauge show 1/4 tank? with the key on and if your under the truck by the fuel pump you should be able to hear it or feel it! if not, prolly blown fuse..

live life full throttle
voltage has dropped have the charger on her now from tryin to start it to much. around 11.7 key on im not sure if that effects the fuel pump from running or not?

So i hooked up a voltmeter right to the fuel pump terminals and i got voltage key on for about 10 sec and then goes to zero guess that's the cycle its supposed to do and not continuously running. hard to jump down there and feel anything in 10 sec its on. the vacuum pump is loud as well haha and the damn door bell. the tank was showing just under 1/4 i put 5 gallons of fuel in though maybe i was empty maybe another 5 gals should be put in to come above the suction cup in case it has fallen off or something is off in the tank. but if the pickup tube is clogged you would think you would get a little fuel in the bowl at least. i also got it to run really rough for about 20 secs some how and got a voltage reading of 11.7-11.8 while running makes me think the alt is bad but i could be fooled sense it was not running smoothly maybe not enough rpm to create a 14 v charge.

ghostriderblk

Reaction score
getting a ride into work today haha let me know what you guys think. def will be dropping the tank and doing mods this spring regardless

ghostriderblk

Reaction score
I ordered a new fuel pump and icp. The icp has oil all over So I'm replacing that as well. Try to stop the problemail before it's worse

ghostriderblk

Reaction score
just an update replaced the lift pump and and icp and with a little charging of the battery it fired right up. was -1 degrees when i changed it i dont understand why these things have to happen in the winter haha :shrug:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.