truck stalls intermittently at a stop or reverse

Tylerwilson

Reaction score
at a stop with the break depressed the truck will sometimes lug down and die, if i react fast enough and throw it in neutral it wont. also sometimes in reverse the truck will shudder and die. drives flawlessly other than that and has no problems whatsoever when moving. the truck has had the transmission replaced with elite diesel competition clutches, buillit input shaft, transgo shift kit, river city diesel low stall converter(1600rpm). took the truck in a few months ago and they tuned it with H&S *** on tunes(was stock tunes when problem started) and replaced the whole solinoid pack. fixed the issue for two months then it came back. Im thinking maybe the retune of the transmission fixed it? The first time the problem presented itself was after i replaced the upper belt tensioner(happened within two hours), is it somehow possible that the wrong tensioner(had both the tensioners but only put one on, maybe i put the wrong tensioner on?) could cause this problem. long shot i know but im running out of ideas.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

White_monster

Reaction score
Torque is not unlocking by the sounds of it. Could be a bad solenoid or bad torque. I'd take it to a trans shop. Just to say it, no the tensioner couldn't cause this it was just a coincidence.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I'd want to watch injector balance on an IDS. probably have an injector or few dropping out

Try doping the truck up with a healthy dose of PS silver.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Sounds like a converter low on fluid they wont disengage and bog the truck down. Only yhing Ive seen do this.

TyCorr

Reaction score
should do it in any gear then.

live life full throttle

No reverse and first. Foot on the brake. Anytime pump demand is higher. Hence low fluid. I know only because ive seen it. I changed tunes and everything else on mine. How I found out my trans cooler was leaking. Low on fluid. Heard of it many times now that im aware.

78f100

Reaction score
What Whitemonster said...
Use your tuner to pull codes, even if check engine light is off. I'd bet the torque converter lockup solonoid is bad allowing tc lock in low gear. We have had several different trucks do this, never on a 5r110 though.

mandkole

Reaction score
Like the others.. converter, pump, stuck/sticking tcc valve, etc-- mine would drift when shifting to reverse and drag in gear until it killed itself. Get it looked at right now as the clutch is putting debris into the fluid.

Latest posts

Members online