Truck stalls when putting in drive

powerstroker66

Reaction score
Local jokal trans shop did a bench build basic 4r100 for me no converter since i had a good barley used reman ford one to use. After installing in the truck, it goes in reverse and does as it should but when putting into drive or any forward gears it stalls like someone dumped the clutch in a manual truck. My assumption is the converter is locking up as soon as the forward drum gets line pressure? Trans shop is arguing its the converter but if that's the case wouldn't the truck do the same thing in reverse?

mandkole

Reaction score
When the last converter failed it began to drift at shift, then eventually slipped. Started in reverse on first shift of day then was ok after. Then started to do it in drive. We troubleshot line pressure, looked for pump cross leaks, etc. Nothing. My trans guy first thought it was a pump leak but the converter was cut open and the clutch had most all the lining ripped off it. The converter was replaced, it ran better than ever.

Yours could be the pump and a leak is allowing tcc apply, or perhaps converter.

GreenF350

Reaction score
Do you have a truspeed or anything like that installed? Had a buddy that's failed and would cause his converter to lock up and stall as soon as he put it in gear. Got rid of that and it was good to go.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
neutral safety switch can do funky ass things like this also.

my brothers 02 would engage the starter when put in park. that was a ***ed up deal there!

live life full throttle

powerstroker66

Reaction score
Truck lunges forward before stalling and you can see the rubber marks on the shop floor. Trans is topped of and at the right level. I put the truck up on jack stands and ran it, and it goes through all the gears, bumps out of OD when commanded etc. I was hoping warming up the trans fluid would free up any stuck vlaves but no luck. I got the truck rolling and put it in gear and it drives fine other then the converter staying locked the whole time.

Auto Medic

Reaction score
Local jokal trans shop did a bench build basic 4r100 for me no converter since i had a good barley used reman ford one to use. After installing in the truck, it goes in reverse and does as it should but when putting into drive or any forward gears it stalls like someone dumped the clutch in a manual truck. My assumption is the converter is locking up as soon as the forward drum gets line pressure? Trans shop is arguing its the converter but if that's the case wouldn't the truck do the same thing in reverse?
Did you figure out your problem. I have a 02 doing the exact same thing. Trans shop just rebuilt it.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Did you figure out your problem. I have a 02 doing the exact same thing. Trans shop just rebuilt it.
Did it do it before or after it was rebuilt.

I read it as you got the transmission rebuilt and now it's doing that. If that's the case you better let them know. They messed something up.

Latest posts

Members online