Trying to beat the GVWR

simonton6.4

Reaction score
Ok so here's the deal we are tired of getting hit by DOT for GVWR weight after searching around a lot we have come up with a pretty solid plan I think but need some parts and info if I can
Plan is we're going to buy a new 6.7 srw f350 cab chassis
Sense we pull a good bit of weight we are wanting to put a drw axle under the truck for pulling and handling
Dana 80 is what I guess I will be putting under it and I need a set of springs and just for comfort I'm gonna put a set of bags under it
Is this going to end up being a nightmare or is it going to easier then I think

Info I need
Spring packs that will fit (years)
Axles if there is any differences out there
Anything else that y'all feel would be good info feel free to share

I need to buy a axle, spring pack, wheels, and what ever else so if y'all have it let me know would like to buy a compleat one if someone has it
Thanks hunter

imelmo

Reaction score
Plan is we're going to buy a new 6.7 srw f350 cab chassis

Sense we pull a good bit of weight we are wanting to put a drw axle under the truck for pulling and handling

Why not just buy a drw to begin with?

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
That's a solid plan? When you have the modifications done with the sticker on the truck that shows the GVWR change by itself? That's what DOT is going to read to see if you're legal.

Jeremy

Reaction score
I dont think your gonna fool any DOT inspector worth his salt, because your truck has a 10,000 lb door sticker. Once its a Dually they'll know it should be over 10,001 lb....adding up the tire ratings alone will show them that.

At least thats what I'm assuming you're trying to do....

good luck though

Last edited:

simonton6.4

Reaction score
The reason for doing the drw swap is the gvwr on the truck a truck with drw has to much of a gvwr but the srw has the right gvwr with our trailer hooked to it our truck now has a sticker changed and they ran the vin last time and it didn't match after that so we still got a ticket so all that being said this is still the best plan I have come up with anyone have a better plan please share or if y'all have spec info that would be great also or some parts for sale

PDT1081

Reaction score
The reason for doing the drw swap is the gvwr on the truck a truck with drw has to much of a gvwr but the srw has the right gvwr with our trailer hooked to it our truck now has a sticker changed and they ran the vin last time and it didn't match after that so we still got a ticket so all that being said this is still the best plan I have come up with anyone have a better plan please share or if y'all have spec info that would be great also or some parts for sale
How much are you trying to haul? And what's the GVWR of the trailer?

simonton6.4

Reaction score
Yes to many different employees drive the truck and it's just to much of a hassle to have to keep up with cdl stuff for every employee and having them licensed

bad12jr

Reaction score
I don't see your math. That's 25200 not 26000?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

simonton6.4

Reaction score
25,200 with the srw gvwr truck the drw truck is like 13,500 or something gvwr which would put way over 26,000
I agree with not working lol it's not my truck or my business so I don't have much of a say in it as to everyone go get cdls boss is wanting to get around the gvwr and get around cdls so this is what I came up with still open to options if some has a better way to do what I'm trying to get around it

Twan

Reaction score
If your going to do airbags, you wouldn't need to change springs, you might be able to just put dually wheels on and everything would work, worst case you swap the rear axel, front end just add the wheel spacer.

That being said, better double check your DOT laws, I though you couldn't have a GVWR of 10,000lbs on your trailer without a cdl.

Other wise it's a great plain. I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work, but just remember you wouldn't be able to put more than 7k on you're rear axle because of the door sticker.

oneton

Reaction score
Yes to many different employees drive the truck and it's just to much of a hassle to have to keep up with cdl stuff for every employee and having them licensed

don't come to fl then.that truck and trailer YOU will need a cdl,regardless if it's dual or single wheel

Binder man

Reaction score
Just have the drivers get a CDL w/o air endorsement...CDL's are a very common MUST HAVE up here for quite a few places.

Also lucky you didn't get a ticket for fraud for changing the sticker...I've contemplated transferring a F super cab onto one of my OBS for farm use so we can haul without a CDL legally but its just not worth it. Get a truck that will fit the GVWR.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.