ts chip not working properly

jameson731

Reaction score
I Could use some help everyone. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me through this, i really appreciate it. Quick run down of my truck, I have an 01 f250 7.3 truck has an intake and exhaust. Ive been running the edge evolution for over a year with no problems at all. After doing some reading and hearing how much better it is, i decided to get a ts 6 position chip. I plan on keeping the edge evo for gauges. The ts has stock, high idle, 50, 75, 100, 140. I received it today and started install. Well after reading to take the terminals down to the copper when cleaning them i did so. Went to start the truck in stock and it would only crank. Cel came on, edge wouldnt even read the hex file just showed error 150. I unhooked everything and tried again with the ts in high idle tune. The edge read the hex file and the truck started with it idleing at 1200. I tried to turn it to stock and it immediately stalled and the edge screen turned off. I turned the key off and switched the tune back to high idol. Turned ign on and everything turned on like it was supposed to. Flipped through the tunes while idleing and everything worked until i went back to stock and had the same problem again. With the ignition just in the on position each tune is hit or miss though. Some times it will run through its cycle and start. sometimes it does the same as the stock tune does and acts like there is no signal and the edge screen turns off and truck wont start just cranks. So.... After doing some reading i found that people found cleaning it down to copper caused the chip not to have a proper connection, and would have similar problems. Well i figured this could be the problem and had the computer re tinned(soldered) at a local electrical repair place. Solder job came out great, very clean job. Went to reinstall the chip fits nice and snug now. Got everything wrapped up and im still having the same problems as before. Not sure what to do now. This thing is starting to drive me crazy. Sorry for the long write up everyone. Also when i unhook the chip everything works like it did prior to installing the chip.

psduser1

Reaction score
I'd contact whoever you bought the chip from, sounds like a chip/program issue, if it works on every position except stock.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Sounds like they put the no start which is usually position 0 if i remember right as your stock file.

jameson731

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. Ill contact them tomorrow, but i also get the same situation in every other tune randomly, where the truck acts like there is no connection. The edge evo loses power and turns off and truck only cranks. The stock tune never works, like you said (6.0 tech) its like they put the anti theft or no start tune in instead of the stock tune.

jameson731

Reaction score
Try it with the evo unplugged.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Just went out and unplugged the edge. Truck is still doing the same thing. Also Sometimes when i turn the ignition on and its in a tune other then stock it will act like its going to work then for a split second will act like there is no signal then click back and be fine.

jameson731

Reaction score
Was able to get a hold of justin at ts performance today. He believes it has bad tunes downloaded on it. Ill update when i get it back hopefully next week.

jameson731

Reaction score
Hopefully everyone can stick with me through this cause its going to be another long post on my chip. Well i got my chip back yesterday from ts performance. Apparently the tunes that were downloaded were bad, not sure because they never contacted me about it, just received it back in the mail with a new card with what tunes were on it no explanation or anything else. So i install the chip in the truck and truck starts on every tune and doesnt stall at all like it was before. Thats about the only good news from the new tunes i have. The stock tune and high idle tune both have a clear miss while idling. The truck revd up ok and cleared up as the rpms went up. Now for the 50, 75, 100, and 140 tunes. As soon as i switch into those tunes at idle the miss is still present but not as noticeable. Also for some reason my boost gauge immediately goes from 0 to -2 in all four of those tunes as if there is a vacuum now(not sure how thats possible when its at 0 in stock and high idle). The truck in all four tunes barely has a difference in power from the 50 tune thru the 140 tune. The truck doesnt build boost until about 2000rpms and struggles to get to 10 as a max psi. If the truck is above 30 the turbo flutters really bad whenever trying to accelerate, to the point where i have to let off the fuel. Truck in all 4 tunes isnt even putting out the power the edge does on my tow tune. Now for the worst part. I decided to take the chip back out of my truck cause its basically worthless the way it is, and just run the edge evo like i always have. Well the edge now wont work properly unless i have it programmed in stock tune. If i try to load any other tune the guages on the evo read way off(ie oil temp 1100, trans temp 40, egt 1000). Those readings were with the truck at idle fully warmed up. Only tune they are not screwed up on is stock. And even when i drove it in stock the truck just didnt seem right to me(boost psi seemed like it was higher then normal and the shifts felt firmer then before in stock). Ive downloaded the tunes probably 7 times and they read way off on the guages and have different readings each time. Sorry for the long post, just been a long frustrating day with this thing. So now im wondering if my computer is screwed up from the chip some how. Im going to try and dosconnect the battery again tomorrow and let it sit then re hook the battery and try loading the edge tunes again. Hoping someone can help me out here cause im at my whits end with this thing.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I would contact the tuner. Explain everything you just exlained to them and see what they say. Make sure you are talking to the tuner or at least one of the tech guys though, and not a salesman as chit never will get relayed properly. Hell exain to them what your edge is doing now as well, they should be able to help you out.

Charles

Reaction score
Is it 2002 all over again?

I haven't bought anything from TS in a long time, but I would recommend calling anyone else. Tons of people deal their chips and know a lot more about them.

As far as what you're in the middle of now....

Only time I've ever hurt a PCM with a chip was when I had a chip totally fail and wipe the pcm out with it. Things were great, driving along (chip was like 10 years old btw) and then it was like you keyed the truck off. Dead pcm, and the chip made a very loud buzzing noise when I placed it in the burner. Luckily I had a spare pcm under the seat that day.

I know the more common way to have a problem is with a key on, chip pull issue by mistake. Although I thought the result was about the same, in that one or both were pretty well destroyed. Did you ever mistakenly pull, or wiggle the chip around and lose contact while the truck was still keyed on?

I don't see that causing a miss however. That sounds like a crappy file.

I would say you just need to call anyone else and get some programs, but that doesn't help you with your edge.

If you have someone with a scanner, maybe just pull everything off and with the stock pcm running the truck alone, scan the truck and check the values that the edge is going nuts on. If they scan the same, then the pcm is messed up most likely. If they scan fine, then hook the edge back up and see if they still read messed up. At which point I would wonder if something on the chip might have messed up the edge, possibly a loose connection or removal while the truck was keyed on for instance.

The guy that could really set you straight would be Bill at powerhungry performance if you could get ahold of him. He has sold the TS chips forever, and knows a thing or two about your edge as well. More than anyone else you will ever talk to most certainly.

jameson731

Reaction score
Thanks charles. Ill have to contact bill then on Monday. Also i never took the chip out while the power was on and i had it taped in to make sure it wouldnt wiggle out at all. So i can check that off as a possible reason for the chip messing up anything on the pcm. Also the edge gauges read fine when in the stock tune, its only when i try loading any other tune that they go crazy. Just very frustrating to buy the chip and get it with bad tunes from one place, then send it to the actual company and it come back with one problem fixed but new ones added. I appreciate the help guys

jameson731

Reaction score
Well tried to disconnect battery and hook the edge back up. The edge downloads the tunes but the oil temp is way off still in all tunes but stock. In stock everything works. Outside temp is about 40 and my oil temp without it running is reading 437. Also each tune once it loads the wait to start light comes on and wont turn off. Truck will only crank and not start. In stock tune everything works properly and starts right up. Anyone have any other advice before i can talk to bill at php on Monday?

jameson731

Reaction score
Well another update.... after driving on the stock tune for about 100 miles today. I decided to try loading the extreme tune again while my gf was running in a store. The tune finally loaded correctly and gauges are working properly again. Not sure what is going on. But after it finally loaded properly now the other tunes are working correctly. Hopefully this is resolved with the edge programmer. Im leaning toward just returning my ts chip to jd auto and truck parts if they will refund me without issue which i think is warranted. Guess ill wait and save for some custom tunes from wildman or dp, Maybe get the gryphon loaded on my edge from php if bill still does that.

Arisley

Reaction score
Get a Hydra from anybody. Have tunes emailed to you from everybody. Have a blast. I recommend to not forget Tony Wildman.

Keep that TS chip away from your truck.

superpsd

Reaction score
Another vote for hydra. With the usb extension cable you don't have to pull the chip to change tunes. Custom tunes can be emailed to you and you download to the chip.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online