Tune question, cold start is this normal?

glass3222

Reaction score
I have had my SCT x4 7015ID for a little over a month and I have been very happy with it and the tunes other than when it gets cold outside. When running the idp performance tune (xtreme street) it is not happy when cold starting below 35 degrees F. It has to crank for about 10 seconds before it starts then it idles very rough and smokes pretty bad for about 20 seconds then clears up. Even when the truck is warmed up it takes about 5 seconds of cranking to fire up.

With the id street tune, it cranks for about 5 seconds then fires up, idles a little rough for 5-10 seconds then smooths out. With tow, econ, and stock tunes, the truck fires up right away and idles smooth.

Is this normal? I am new to the diesel world so I do not know.

cRaZy8

Reaction score
My truck hates IDP tunes. Horrible cold starts and shifting.

TSD has a REALLY nice MPD winter tow tune. Fires fast. Cranks strong. Vanes open. 1k rpm high idle.

Nates White Ghost and White Rain start and run really good in the cold too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

glass3222

Reaction score
I turn mine down to aggressive street in the winter. Then in the spring back up to extreme street.

Is that because of the hard starting of extreme street in the cold?

I turned mine to tow. Seems like it will be very easy to manage if we ever start getting snow here in central PA.

I am considering getting matts SLR tune as well. Maybe this will have better cold starting characteristics.

bad moose

Reaction score
Yes hard starting and when it does get going it hammers bad till it warms up. By hard starting I mean a couple extra cranks. But its mainly the hammering that bothers me.

WichitaF250

Reaction score
I have Matts SRL and mine starts really well, had a couple mornings in the low 20's. Starts real quick and hardly any smoke, I do run T6 in it also.

glass3222

Reaction score
I emailed ID and just got a response.

"Sometimes a truck will do that when it's tuned. It's not a huge issue but it can be annoying sometimes. If you stick some rev x in the oil that may clear it up a bit."

I'll put the extreme street tune in it and video the start tomorrow morning (supposed to be 36*). I'll attempt to post the video and maybe people can tell me what they think.

I also think I am going to get Matt a call and try the SRL tune. Might also call Vivian and try Looney tune. Not sure which or maybe both.

glass3222

Reaction score
when it gets colder it crank about 10 seconds longer and idles much rougher, smoke is about the same. It clears up shortly after starting, a couple seconds.

When the temp is above 50 or the truck is warmed up, there is no smike and it fires up on the first couple cranks.

glass3222

Reaction score
I tried the srl tune and it was a hard start in the cold, switched to Vivian's Looney tune and it fires up smooth and easy every time.

https://youtu.be/cvvcD9EfAk0

Awesome. I sent Vivian an email, they are closed until Monday. I more I read about her tunes and customer service the more I think I am going to get her tunes. Looney tune for now until I get my truck studded in a couple months, then Looney Wild.

Ford460power

Reaction score
Awesome. I sent Vivian an email, they are closed until Monday. I more I read about her tunes and customer service the more I think I am going to get her tunes. Looney tune for now until I get my truck studded in a couple months, then Looney Wild.

Vivian's customer service has been awesome, my truck runs great with the Looney wild, i run it daily and just made a 3000 mile trip with zero issues.

04cr450

Reaction score
I've run ********s srl for 100k miles lol no issues..... srlxx not that long but.... I know Vivian had alot of trans tuning problems. Not sure if she cleared the issues- evidently she did. Vivian is a nice lady, met and spoke to her multiple times now, good company.

glass3222

Reaction score
I got Looney Fuel tune from Vivian at Quick Trick and it starts much better than the ID tunes that came with my SCT.

BigFoot

Reaction score
My truck won't start on IDPs tunes if it's cold either. Starts good with Nate Windrunners white noise and white rain tunes. Will be getting dyno tuned by TSD in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2stangs8689

Reaction score
My tune from Matt started like you described yesterday leaving work, very choppy starting, sounded like it was on 2 cylinders.

I put the White Noise tune in last night when got home, but it won't be as cold when I leave work tonight. It was 16 deg last night, will be closer to 30 tonight. I'm heading out of town Sunday heading for the Adirondacks to snowmobile, we'll see how it starts up there I guess.

Glad I searched, I was just gonna start a thread and ask that very question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online