Tuner/DPF delete for fuel mileage

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
I was talking to a very good friend of mine today about his 10' CCSB 4x4 250 and he is claiming a max of 15mpg's on a 100% stock setup. I told him that surely he could be in the 18-20mpg range with a SCT and DPF delete. I'm just wondering if this is true or am I way off. I'm a 6.0l guy, but I know the 6.4's can make stupid HP with just a DPF delete and tune so I figured he could net much better fuel econ with a basic setup like this as well. The truck tows around 3500#'s regularly but thats about it. We're in GA so there is no emissions testing to worry about. Just looking for some info on what you guys saw with these mods. Thanks

extreme3807

Reaction score
18 is doable. When I had my tuner, exhaust and intake I was netting around 17. I live in charleston, sc where it is all stop and go traffic which killed my mpg, I know it had more in it.

Sent from my DROID Pro

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
18 is right on.... spartan ftw though....
I've read a lot about the Spartan tunes. Can you get Spartan tunes on a SCT or would I be looking at a H&S? I run the Livewire and really like it, I think whatever tuner I get him, I want a tuner capable of monitoring P.I.D.s in real time. What are some issues that the 6.4 will run into with a tune and DPF delete. I've read that head gaskets won't be an issue. What about the EGR system on these engines? Like I said, not looking to make huge power, just want better mileage (and from what I've read the DPF is the big issue here).

Black_Pstroke

Reaction score
Get a dash daq from drew tech for gauges and get an x3 from innovative for tunes. My $.02. You can only get Spartan tunes on the dash daq.

Last edited:

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I can see a F250 getting high teens and might even get in the 20's.
Load a good high HP tune.
Keep your foot out of it.
Dont drive 80. If you can keep it under 2000 that will help you even more.
Use cruise control
I need to check it, but my F450 bumped 23 by the dash on Friday. THe dash is usually within 3 from what I have seen. Innovative Xtreme Street Tune FTW.
The highest I saw with the Xtreme Mild was 16 on the dash. Mixed driving it was down at 14. This thing is a tank so starting and stopping kills it.

WoodBoy

Reaction score
No dont get the x3 for a 6.4, get the Livewire. And if you do, give Rudy's or PTP a call and get IDP tunes on it. Dont bother with the canned sct tunes. Price is too close between a X3 and Livewire to sacrifice communication issues . Spartan is also a good tuner, and an awesome monitor

WoodBoy

Reaction score
And take into consideration he is only going to do this on stock tires or lighter ones like them. 305/55-20s on 20x10s keeps me around 15.5

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
His truck will never be lifted or ride in anything other than than stock sized rubber, unless I buy it in a couple years when he gets a new one.

Jhaddox

Reaction score
Its doable, Get a Livewire from SCT (the x3 has had problems lately with communicating with the PCM and causing problems) the livewire is a more reliable unit and around the same price...get Innovatives tuning on it, just call Rudy's they can set you up with everything you need.

Ive ran Innovative and Spartans tuning on my truck and Innovatives where its at...shifts are smooth, and you dont have a touchy throttle like you do with other tuners

you can use the Livewire for gauges or the DashDaq is great is a great display, you can pick up a used locked one in the classifieds section reasonably or new from DrewTech is 550.

mortal798

Reaction score
I don't know about around town, I drive mostly highway. I have DPF/DOC delete, CAI, and H&S XRT Pro. My best hand-calculated has been 18.7 MPG, averaging in the 15 to 16 range because I drive fast. If I stay out of it and keep it under 75mph, I can see 17 all day long. I just ignore the dash readout, it is always WAY off.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
So the general concensus is a Livewire, Intake and Exhaust. What do you boys recommend for exhaust and intake. I run a Livewire with Egt probe and custom dash mount tuned by Innovative and Quick Tricks. Very happy with it. I also have a S&B intake and MBRP turbo back exhaust on my 6.0l. All have been great products, but I know the 6.4's are a very different beast, thats why I want your opinions. Also, I know the intake is an easy install, but what about the exhaust? Can I do this at home. I've done all the work on my truck except machining the heads and doing studs and gaskets (Ford handled the studs and gaskets while I had the machine work done local).

Jhaddox

Reaction score
You can do it in the driveway...just make sure you support the dpf with a Jack stand...it's a heavy sob

I run an afe exhaust and it's a good quality kit...flopro, afe, MBRP, their all quality kits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
You can do it in the driveway...just make sure you support the dpf with a Jack stand...it's a heavy sob

I run an afe exhaust and it's a good quality kit...flopro, afe, MBRP, their all quality kits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate it. I want to insure that whatever goes on this truck is of the best quality, because I'd like to buy it in a couple years when he trades up. His vehicles are always kept in great shape and serviced with the best materials on or before recommended intervals. Hell, who would'nt want to build their next vehicle with someone elses money.

Black_Pstroke

Reaction score
Its doable, Get a Livewire from SCT (the x3 has had problems lately with communicating with the PCM and causing problems) the livewire is a more reliable unit and around the same price...get Innovatives tuning on it, just call Rudy's they can set you up with everything you need.

Ive ran Innovative and Spartans tuning on my truck and Innovatives where its at...shifts are smooth, and you dont have a touchy throttle like you do with other tuners

you can use the Livewire for gauges or the DashDaq is great is a great display, you can pick up a used locked one in the classifieds section reasonably or new from DrewTech is 550.

So, you can use the livewire for loading tunes and then unplug it and plug in the dashdaq for the gauges? Is the x3 just problematic on the 6.4? the one I had on my 6.0 worked flawless.

WoodBoy

Reaction score
So, you can use the livewire for loading tunes and then unplug it and plug in the dashdaq for the gauges? Is the x3 just problematic on the 6.4? the one I had on my 6.0 worked flawless.

Correct.. The X3 works fine when it communicates correctly. Sometimes it doesnt communicate and could possibly fry the PCM or TCM

Black_Pstroke

Reaction score
Correct.. The X3 works fine when it communicates correctly. Sometimes it doesnt communicate and could possibly fry the PCM or TCM

good to know as I was getting closer to buying an x3, looks like ill be getting a livewire thanks for the info. sorry for the derail op:fordoval:

funyun

Reaction score
to and from work which is basically no highway I get 12 maybe 13 in my 6.4. I have H&S with an s&b intake and flo pro DP back exhaust. I had spartan previously and got the same mileage. One the highway Its about 16-17. My truck is also 2" lift on 35s. ~8100lb with a full tank of gas

Latest posts

Members online