Turbine Housings - t4 vs vband

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
This may not be the best section to post, mods can move this if they wish.

My question is t4 vs vband housings, what are the pros and cons? Would a stock style 7.3 be considered a twin scroll vband? Stock 6.0 turbo would be an open vband, obviously variable geometry. 6.4 has its own style divided housing and the 6.7's I haven't really paid attention to the turbine housing but they are divided I believe.

With A/R ratios being equal, what would be the differences?

sootie

Reaction score
i'm thinking you are using the wrong term somehow. V band is a type of connection, T4 is a type of mount.

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
Hopefully this works and I can be more clear by what I mean.
T4 style housing
http://s1257.photobucket.com/user/r-lodge3/media/img-474-0-large_zpsihfl4sro.jpg.html?sort=3&o=9
V-Band style housing
http://s1257.photobucket.com/user/r-lodge3/media/gt28205__28385_zoom_zpsjsntjozb.jpg.html?sort=3&o=10
I understand that vband refers to the style of clamp which is shaped in a "v" of sorts. Most larger turbos, and by large I mean the typical size you would see on a car or truck use a v-band outlet. But stock 7.3 and 6.0 vgt turbo's use a v-band on the turbine inlet as well.

Edit I can only get links to work, not sure how to get pics to show up.

Last edited:

gwunter

Reaction score
I would think that if you look into a turbine inlet and see a divider it would be a twin scroll....no matter what the mounting type. In quick comparison...I would guess the t style to be more robust. Also from a a remanufacturing standpoint I think it would be easier to resurface the t stale whereas if you need to resurface the v band sealing surface it might not be as forgiving. From a performance point I would think it would go to the v band. As typically the piping is round....and the turbine inlet is round. Just my 0.02

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
I agree on the divider part, and yea for sure it would be twin scroll if it was divided. As far as identifying the visual/physical differences, that's not an issue. I would also agree with the v-band (round) theoretically would have better flow characteristics. Sorry I don't really have a clear question or answer I'm looking for. I'm just looking for information on the benefits of either style housing. T4 is more common, so that's a benefit if someone wants to change a turbo in their setup or just a housing size (a/r) change.

As far as round goes, if someone was looking to do a compound setup, it would be easier in my opinion to use a round style housing on their atmosphere turbo, yet I have seen few setups do this. Maybe it's a cost/selection decision.

I've searched the web, all different kinds of forums and there haven't been any answers. Lots of knowledgeable people here, maybe some can chime in and we can all learn something.

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
They are not popular in the aftermarket, but were basically used by International/ ford on the 7.3, 6.0 which makes me wonder why they used them instead of t4. I believe obs and e99 trucks were t4, why did they switch? Better flow/ spooling characteristics?
Yea, the one I posted was a Tial. Haven't seen a price but anything stainless would drive the cost up. One you posted is 1/3 of the price of a s400 series turbo and its cast.. So I could imagine the cost of a Tial. So cost is a negative. Wonder how performance compares

Power Hungry

Reaction score
There are arguments both ways for using a T4 flange mount versus the standard Ford V-band flange.

My personal preference is to use the V-band as much as possible because if the turbo ever fails on you, you can pick a replacement up from any number of distributors... Usually the same day. Also, in most cases replacement take only a few simple hand tools and there's very little plumbing you have to worry about as it's all part of the pedestal. This makes it very easy for full-timers or heavy haulers to not have to worry as much if they break down. Now, options are limited on size and A/R, but there's still enough variety to fit most street applications.

The T4-flanged turbos, like the Holset H2e and Borg-Warner S-series turbos provide a considerably wider range of options for finer tuning to an application. They are also not considerably difficult to change on the side of the road either. You will have to deal with some plumbing for the feed and return lines, but even that's usually not a big deal. Where you run into a problem is finding one when time is limited. While street applications are not generally a problem and are actually quite common, you'll usually find these setups on the 500+ HP performance, racing, and pulling crowds.

I guess what it really comes down to is price. While the turbos may not vary terribly in price, switching to a T4 flange setup is an added expense of between $1,000 and $4,000 over the turbo alone, depending on what T4 kit you go with and what options you select (headers, bellows, etc.).

Again, my preference for most street applications would be V-band. Others may have different thoughts on this.

Take care.

Latest posts

Members online