Turbo Help!

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
Just wondering where do u instal a bov?

2005 F250 6.0 powerstroke, 6 speed manual, egr delete, arp head studs, new oil cooler, aftermarket coolant filter, custom intake, 4" down pipe into dual 6" stacks, 8" lift, TSD super panty dropper tune.

A bung will be welded into one of the CAC pipes for the BOV, and a solenoid hooked to the TPS will control it.

I would also like to point out that shifting is not the only time that I have issues. These courses often have a very short shutdown area, so I often find myself coming across the line at full throttle, and then jamming into the brakes. The same goes for some hairpin corners.

Stroked777

Reaction score
I still think a BOV is the wrong way to go. Get a new tune writer and see if it still surges. Tell them to control the surging and you will be happy

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
I still think a BOV is the wrong way to go. Get a new tune writer and see if it still surges. Tell them to control the surging and you will be happy

I am in the process of finding a new tuner. I am curious to why you think that a BOV is not the answer. I can see it being an issue if it was improperly adjusted, but in the gasser world, a BOV actually can reduce lag.

Also, with how I run this thing, I don't see any amount of tuning that is going to completely eliminate the barking. However, at this point, I am willing to try anything.

Stroked777

Reaction score
In the gasser world it does work to help reduce lag because when the throttle plate closes the pressure builts between the turbo and throttle plate, basically it build inside the intercooler. If it wasn't for the BOV it would surge the turbo. They tune the BOV to open to dump just enough air to keep the turbo from surging, but hold enough "charged air" to have positive manifold pressure. But in a diesel there is no throttle plate so the air just continues through cylinder until the boost pressure is gone. With a BOV your just wasting the boost and then starting over. If tuned right you can keep the boost up between shifts and that will help you. With my 6.4 I know the kem tunes would drop Rpms quick after letting off the pedal causing the surge but with my gh tunes the rpm comes down more gradually and doesn't surge, after letting off my throttle completely it actually takes a few seconds to come down to 0 psi. Sorry it this seems confusing. Trying to explain the best I can

Last edited:

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
I understand what you are saying. However, the BOV will not be dumping all of my boost, just enough to keep the turbo spinning while I get ready to mash the pedal again. I am sure proper tuning will help a lot, but the BOV is cheap insurance. And if it does not do what I want it to, it can always come off.

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
I understand what you are saying. However, the BOV will not be dumping all of my boost, just enough to keep the turbo spinning while I get ready to mash the pedal again. I am sure proper tuning will help a lot, but the BOV is cheap insurance. And if it does not do what I want it to, it can always come off.

Exactly. It is definitely worth the shot? BTW who is doing your tuning now? Also if you want a price on the BOV let me know

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
I have a BOV on the way, thanks though. As far as my current tuner, I don't want to start a flame war, but I have mentioned their name in this thread.

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
Just read back to the tuner. Wasn't planning on flaming anyhow... See what he can do for you. I'm sure there is some improvement. It wouldn't hurt to call around to the other tuners and just see what they think of the setup and let them tell you what they can do...

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
Just read back to the tuner. Wasn't planning on flaming anyhow... See what he can do for you. I'm sure there is some improvement. It wouldn't hurt to call around to the other tuners and just see what they think of the setup and let them tell you what they can do...

I have been on the horn the past few days.... I have some promising leads. What I have now is not working out.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.