turbo options besides 38r

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
thinking about ditching my 38r and bellowed upipes for a t4 setup, What would be a good turbo for the mods in the sig and may upgrade my injectors in the future, hows a s467 work and spool?

golfer

Reaction score
elevation & application would probably need to be asked prior to recommending a turbo.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
never had it dynoed, havent run the highest tune from gearhead yet as i dont have my studs or springs installed. I've had them since december but havent had a chance to throw them in yet. Sea level in florida and its a DD that tows a 31ft boat bout 11k. Some track time too. There is a bullseye turbo for sale in the classifieds im looking at, Guy said its based off of an S400 frame.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
BesT so far was 14.4 without time to spool hard, last run I made I tried to leave at 20psi but the front axle was trying to rip off the truck. At least 7900lbs. That was in Matt's street tune. Trying to chase down a low boost issue

thuglike

Reaction score
What's your budget?
Do you plan to go bigger in the future or just outfit this rig for a particular purpose?

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
budget wise as cheap as possible or most bang for the buck. Just a college kid. May go bigger on the injectors in the future, maybe some 250/200's. Just seeing what my options are since ive already bought the 38r and bellowed uppipes. Truck is a DD that also tows everynow and then and hits the drag strip a couple times a year.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
So after hearing all that, personally, I'm going back to what they said. Irate mount and an s467. S471 if you're on a budget. Hell I towed with an s482 a few weeks ago. It wasn't pretty but I did. LOL Youi should be fine towing every now and then with either of those.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
whats the difference between a s467 and a s471? Theres a couple used s366 in my area on craigslist that im seeing for around 500 bucks

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
i know you want a different option then the 38r but have you thought of the new billet compressor wheel for the 38r? it lights fast as hell... quiets it down and is by far cheaper then buying a different turbo and mount.

live life full throttle

DocBar

Reaction score
i know you want a different option then the 38r but have you thought of the new billet compressor wheel for the 38r? it lights fast as hell... quiets it down and is by far cheaper then buying a different turbo and mount.

live life full throttle
Very, very good point. If I weren't going a different route, I'd have one of those new wheels in a New York minute.

just exploring my options here
Lincoln has a very good point, budget wise. If you're going less than all out and want reliable, the new 38R wheel would be the best option, hands down, in your case. 7.3's are as hard on the pocketbook as they are your patience. So many things have to be upgraded and there is so much trial and error it becomes very nerve wracking for a guy with a DD. The higher the horsepower, the bigger and more numerous the headaches. Bellowed up pipes and the new wheel in the 38R will give you plenty of RWHP and minimal headaches. I've been running the 38R for 4 years and over 500 RWHP for 3 years. It's been a solid turbo, but with the original wheel, it's obnoxiously loud.

If I could go back in time 3 years, I'd have the 467(8) with Irates mount. That seems like a helluva setup with 250+/200+ injectors. Think about your ultimate power goals very hard. I would ask myself if it would be cheaper to upgrade to X turbo in the future or Y injector. You can usually tune for a larger injector but you can't make an injector move enough fuel to light a turbo.

If you're dead sure you're going to keep the motor close to stock, put the new 38R wheel in. If you think you will want to grow over 500+, you need to seriously upgrade a whole butt ton of Shiite, so plan accordingly. The turbo(s) will still likely be the last upgrade, so consider adding the new wheel now, budget allowing, or run the stock wheel (good for 500+) and save up for the new turbo system after all the supporting mods are complete.

Budget and high horsepower are virtually mutually exclusive terms. Throw in reliability and you get oxymoronic. High horsepower and reliability= LOL
Be prepared for headaches and heartbreak.

A reliable, high horsepower DD= :cursing::wtf::pointlaugh::fustrate:

CATDiezel

Reaction score
thinking about ditching my 38r and bellowed upipes for a t4 setup, What would be a good turbo for the mods in the sig and may upgrade my injectors in the future, hows a s467 work and spool?

A smaller exhaust housing will help you.

No need for studs on a stock injector truck.

The 38r is very sufficient for you.

Dont be scared of an all out tune on a stock 7.3L. It limits itself fuel wise.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
well ive already got the bellowed uppipes, have studs and stprings ready to be put in, already have the BTS, may send out the injectors to be upped from 238/80's to some 250/200's in the future. The reason i originally went with the 38r is 1. already had the bellowed uppipes, and 2. Everyone said it was a damn near bullet proof turbo. I dont have any issues with it except i cant seem to keep my egts down. And i hear that once you start getting up there in boost the back pressure really starts to climb

Latest posts

Members online