turbo rebuild schedule

Twinboys

Reaction score
For my new to me Excursion, I bought a rebuild kit for my turbo before removing it. After removal, I see it is too late and needs to be replaced. To avoid this in the future, I am thinking of just doing a scheduled rebuild every so may miles. What do you recommend?

Twinboys

Reaction score
Isn't it funny how when you are looking for information, most of what you get is opinion and advice, and when asking for opinion, you may not get any until one person opens the floodgate?

Would I be better off just inspecting my turbo at regular intervals? How do I tell if it should be rebuilt?

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Update the truck to the latest strategy with vane sweep, and it should last 300k miles or so if you change the oil regularly.

equalizier

Reaction score
Do you have a crank case ventilation system on your excursion.This will keep your intake track clean and your turbo clean.I could send you a pic of what a really neglected turbo looks like and I think the ccv is the killer and changing the oil regularly.

Reaction score
For my new to me Excursion, I bought a rebuild kit for my turbo before removing it. After removal, I see it is too late and needs to be replaced. To avoid this in the future, I am thinking of just doing a scheduled rebuild every so may miles. What do you recommend?

What are you considering failed about the old one? Unless the exhaust housing and VGT components are completely rusted up to where pitting as destroyed it, it's pretty hard to kill a 6.0 turbo.

Twinboys

Reaction score
The turbine wheel had end played far enough to eat the plate behind it (held in by three screws that are now ground off).

Latest posts

Members online