Turbo removal tips

msmith

Reaction score
So, for those of us who are less than adequate mechanics, lol.:eek:

Trying to get the turbo out for a "in the very near future" project. Since this is my first turbo removal, like others, that back bolt was being a booger. 20 minutes, I had everything but that one bolt removed. I talked with Matt Wilber about it, but I can be a bit dense at times. So...google is my friend, usually. I couldn't find any good pictures.

That being said, where is that bolt, what does it look like, did I get any PB Blaster on it, where's that socket I dropped? :shrug:I don't have a mirror.

Using a small LED flashlight in my right hand, I started the video on my iPhone and held it in the other. Shined the light on the silver heat shield on the firewall to reflect the light and manuevered the phone over the down pipe and angled it different directions. Reviewed the video and there it is. Plenty of PB blaster on it and know exactly where it is to get the socket on it.

Any way, this is old hat for most, but figured it might help someone else that has never removed their turbo before.

Petro

Reaction score
I've never really had any trouble removing a 6.0 leaker turbo. I think the worst one I ever removed took me roughly 25 minutes. The only advice I can give you is just be patient and keep working at it. Once you get it broke loose, its very easy. Good luck. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

msmith

Reaction score
"D I Y turbo removal" that's what you ment.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yeah, kinda sorta.

This trick actually works for a lot of things. At work, we sometimes tape our phones to an extendo stick, to get serial numbers off of voltage regulators or transformers.

01PSD

Reaction score
Getting it loose from the drain tube can be so damn aggravating. Pry bar FTW and yes the y-pipe blows

msmith

Reaction score
No problem getting it off of the drain tube. Used a tire spoon for a pry bar and it popped right up. I put the Y pipe on first then used a pry bar to line the turbo up with the pedestal then put the bolts in. I had to loosen up the exhaust to get the down pipe to line up for some reason.

Latest posts

Members online