TurboGuard (BOV)

motionmanjcm

Reaction score
Just curious what eveyone's opinion is for a blow off valve on a diesel. I know how they work, and I know the difference between a diesel and a gasser. I did some reading up about them, and theoretically it does make sense to put one on a diesel. If your turbo is moving a sh*t load of air and in a split second rpm's drop (let off throttle), all that air pressure has to go somewhere. I know on my truck, it goes right back out where it came from. If im pushing anywhere between 10-25 psi and let off, it sounds like a hawk getting raped under my hood. It almost does sound like a BOV. Now its been like that for 60,000+ miles and I havn't had any issues. Truck has 242,xxx miles and the turbo is still working great. I am going to throw a 38r and 4" exhaust on it, so I might avoid the issue all together. But I'm just curious what you all think as far as a BOV on a diesel. Thanks

OSCS

Reaction score
Your question pretty much awnsers it self. If you do a lot of stop and go driving and have an expensive turbo than why not.. It's purely preference

motionmanjcm

Reaction score
Your question pretty much awnsers it self. If you do a lot of stop and go driving and have an expensive turbo than why not.. It's purely preference

I didn't necessarily ask a question... just wanted some opionions because I didn't know they made a BOV for diesels... I'm just here to learn.. I don't know everything like many of you, but thanks for your response.

Well if its purely preference then I think I would prefer to have one if I had the cash

OSCS

Reaction score
Blow of valve is a blow off valve, there is no difference between diesels or gassers, just sizes and styles. You have a good understanding of how they work and how it can apply to a diesel. With that said very few guys run them because they don't think there neccesary. I like the idea of them because I get the flutter from time to time. So I say you do it.. There not that expensive.

motionmanjcm

Reaction score
Blow of valve is a blow off valve, there is no difference between diesels or gassers, just sizes and styles. You have a good understanding of how they work and how it can apply to a diesel. With that said very few guys run them because they don't think there neccesary. I like the idea of them because I get the flutter from time to time. So I say you do it.. There not that expensive.

I see what you're saying, I think really the only differnce for a diesel is the controller because it operates off of throttle position electronicly. The only one I've seen is the BD TurboGuard and its over 6 hundred bucks.. Do you know of anyone else that makes a "diesel" setup?

patrickke

Reaction score
HKS, Turbo Smart, and High Tech Turbo makes one. Remember that it has to be one specifically for diesels because we don't have the ability to use a vacuum activated one, but it has to have a brain box with it

OSCS

Reaction score
HKS, Turbo Smart, and High Tech Turbo makes one. Remember that it has to be one specifically for diesels because we don't have the ability to use a vacuum activated one, but it has to have a brain box with it

forgot to mention activation differences between gas/diesel :fustrate: thanks for clearing that up patrick

Latest posts

Members online