Turbonetics turbo

dehhperformance9

Reaction score
Anyone out there that is using the turbonetics stage 2 turbo kit for the 7.3 with the 76 mm ball bearing turbo. If so how is because I can't really find much info on it so I don't want buy something that i will regret. And I'm just using the truck for some what a dd and just to have fun with and drive.

Gearhead

Reaction score
I can spec you a custom turbo because the ones in the kit aren't worth a damn imo. Also they told me they dont have enough parts to sell complete kits when i talked to them at sema. I was going to start offering their kits with custom turbos until they told me this.

dehhperformance9

Reaction score
well I talk to spe and they said they had some. and what's wrong with the turbo aren't they a duel ceramic ball bearing turbo. I know there small on the hot side but why are the crap turbos just wondering?

dehhperformance9

Reaction score
Ya I know it's a big turbo but really only time I will drive it is when it's a nice day like a sunday or to some car shows or if it snows. I don't really want to drive it that much when I have a vw diesel i can drive witch gets the best mpg ever :)

Gearhead

Reaction score
The turbine isn't sized right for a diesel application. The 76 wont flow more than the 66 but you will pay the spoolup penalty. You can also just get the mount kit and put an s366 or 467 on there for a good turbo combination or i can have a custom turbonetics ball bearing built for you. I've been wanting to release them but i cant get any of the kits so the project is on hold.

bigjake0524

Reaction score
What size injectors are you wanting to run with the setup?
We have full kits in stock ready to ship and have the proper intercooler tubes for the hot side for what ever turbo you want to run.

dehhperformance9

Reaction score
would the turbonetics mid frame turbo with a 75mm turbine with a 1.14 a/r be a better choice and I was planning on running 250/200

dehhperformance9

Reaction score
Has anyone used the mid frame turbonetics turbo looking at it and looks kinda like the new aurora 5500 with the 76mm compressors wheel and there pritty much same on the turbine side. Just seeing if they have Ben used before and if so how are they and would 250/200 be ok or 300 /200 be better ?

golfer

Reaction score
Has anyone used the mid frame turbonetics turbo looking at it and looks kinda like the new aurora 5500 with the 76mm compressors wheel and there pritty much same on the turbine side. Just seeing if they have Ben used before and if so how are they and would 250/200 be ok or 300 /200 be better ?

what is your application?

hot street?
drag racing?
sled pulling?

% of each..?

a 75mm turbine is mighty small for much more than 200cc's of fuel with a 200% nozzle...especially with any of the itty bitty turbine housings that Tnetics likes to offer...

I would probably skip looking at any of the off the shelf Tnetics turbos...and look for something in the S400 frame...we have cast & billet wheel options for 68mm, 71mm, 74mm and I would almost certainly recommend the 88mm turbine wheel with ANY of those CW sizes...

7.3L's need lots turbine wheel, I've never seen even the 82mm TW's do worth a flip in the S4 frame.

I would get recommendations on the CW and turbine housing AR based on your application...

Gearhead

Reaction score
what is your application?

hot street?
drag racing?
sled pulling?

% of each..?

a 75mm turbine is mighty small for much more than 200cc's of fuel with a 200% nozzle...especially with any of the itty bitty turbine housings that Tnetics likes to offer...

I would probably skip looking at any of the off the shelf Tnetics turbos...and look for something in the S400 frame...we have cast & billet wheel options for 68mm, 71mm, 74mm and I would almost certainly recommend the 88mm turbine wheel with ANY of those CW sizes...

7.3L's need lots turbine wheel, I've never seen even the 82mm TW's do worth a flip in the S4 frame.

I would get recommendations on the CW and turbine housing AR based on your application...

You talking inducer or exducer on the turbine?

dbunyip

Reaction score
I got the very last kit from turbonetics and have the 74mm turbo but I can't tell you much about it other than it is a really nice looking kit and fit is pretty good. I had to do a little beating on the fire wall for the down pipe. Right now it has stock injectors and tuning and is only making 3psi boost. I was in the same boat as you on not being able to find anyone who had run any of there turbos and they gave me a smoking deal (its a sema show truck) so I'm trying it. My original plan was there kit with a gtx4294r which is what I will do if this one doesn't work out. Hope to get it all figured out in the next few weeks, have to make a new intake to adapt it to my AFE stg 2, do a boost leak check and then on to the injectors n tuning

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

golfer

Reaction score

Attachments

• turbo.jpg
    turbo.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 102

dehhperformance9

Reaction score
o good to here that some one got one. and are you running a 74mm turbonectis turbo?

The turbonetics specs im looking at is comp side is in76/ex105 the trubine is in83/ex75 witch i have read is the same turbine as the S475SX3. and a 1mm off on the turbine side of a 7675 Billet Precision Turbocharger and same on the comp side 76/105. this turbo im looing at looks more and more like a gtx4202r witch is what i was going to do if the turbonetics dosnt work well.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I had a super T72 when I first started pulling.... that thing spooled up awesome and just flat ran out of the turbine capability and air very early on..... If you have stupid fuel and like 50psi of boost with 100psi of backpressure.... then awesome. If you want something that works go S400 route....

Better yet how about some videos:

Turbonetics Charger:
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

S400 Charger:
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

The charger was the only change - these videos were about 2 weeks apart. HUGE difference.

golfer

Reaction score
I got the very last kit from turbonetics and have the 74mm turbo but I can't tell you much about it other than it is a really nice looking kit and fit is pretty good. I had to do a little beating on the fire wall for the down pipe. Right now it has stock injectors and tuning and is only making 3psi boost. I was in the same boat as you on not being able to find anyone who had run any of there turbos and they gave me a smoking deal (its a sema show truck) so I'm trying it. My original plan was there kit with a gtx4294r which is what I will do if this one doesn't work out. Hope to get it all figured out in the next few weeks, have to make a new intake to adapt it to my AFE stg 2, do a boost leak check and then on to the injectors n tuning

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

dbunyip-

you HAVE to have something major wrong with the turbo..or installation (boot, clamp, intake plenums, MAJOR exh leaks pre turbo, etc)...

as crappy as *I* think the Tnetics turbos are...it should still be making waaaaay more than 3psi even with stock injectors...

I mean...if your truck is only making ~ 3 psi of boost it's probably making LESS than 100rwhp...seriously...does your truck FEEL like it's only making <100rwhp?? or do you have a GAUGE problem...?

dbunyip

Reaction score
Something is wrong, I can get enough power to shift past 3rd gear. It's a guttless turd. I finally have some free time tomorrow to start looking at it. Going to start with a leak test and go from there

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

golfer

Reaction score
Something is wrong, I can get enough power to shift past 3rd gear. It's a guttless turd. I finally have some free time tomorrow to start looking at it. Going to start with a leak test and go from there

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

I assume you meant to say that you do NOT have enough power to get past 3rd..but either way...

do you have access to a scan tool so that you can monitor engine parameters?

(under a hard acceleration) I'd like to see what the PCM (chip) is requesting as far as:

MFD (mass fuel desired)
ICP (this will be actual pressure, not requested)
Injector Pulse Width (in milliseconds)
MAP (manifold absolute pressure)

have you confirmed that the MAP sensor hose is connected to the Y-pipe in the valley, as well that the MAP sensor electrical connector is hooked up?

boost & fueling is a lot like the 'chicken and the egg'...

gotta have a bit of fuel to make boost...and then the PCM needs to "SEE" that boost to request more fuel (MFD & inj PW)

Latest posts

Members online