Twins vgt with non vgt...

NORCAL6.0

Reaction score
Building second motor that I bought... For a weekend warrior tow rig... Not alot of info on vgt/non vgt setups... Looking at running garret 2.5 with a s475, been talking to a guy that has a 3.0 (68mm) with a s475 and he loves it... Any thoughts. Thanks army!!!

slc dzl

Reaction score
Cutting-Edge diesel offers a solid kit.
There is not much info out there from people running a compounded vgt set up.

NORCAL6.0

Reaction score
Also need to know what sticks ill need to power them.... Was hoping 190's would do the trick and I know I won't see the full force of the 475... But if I needed it, it's there

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I would talk more with Oliver because he changed his setup a few times. He is no longer using his stage 3 turbo. He is using a different smaller custom vgt charger with a large turbine on it.

I personally love the idea and will one day try it myself!

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Also need to know what sticks ill need to power them.... Was hoping 190's would do the trick and I know I won't see the full force of the 475... But if I needed it, it's there

IMO you probably want something larger than 190s to take advantage of the compound setup you are describing.

If you use a stage 3 vgt for you HP turbo then the truck will only spool as fast as the HP turbo. If you don't have enough fuel to take advantage of the extra air from the LP then you will not see very many gains in hp, tow ability, drive abilty etc. The reason I mention that is many people run 190s with just a stage 3 and have great power, great driveability, egts, etc... You could just run the stage 3 and be happy with 190s. No reason to add a huge lp charger to a turbo already sized well for the injectors.

Not bashing your idea but I would not do the setup you describe with 190s... either the injectors would have to be bigger, hp turbo would have to be smaller, or I would not do compounds and just stick with the stage 3 turbo

ODAWG714

Reaction score

Hey Matt, it's Oliver.

The least I'd go is a 190. Probably stick with 205/75 on the injectors. Especially if your running the stock hpo pump. I ran the stage3 hp charger for a while and I must say I love the 60 a lot more. Spool is faster and bp numbers aren't moving up as fast as with the stage3
Matt at cutting edge just sent me a kit. I'll text you his number bud

Last edited:

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
MPD built this setup with an 03 turbo and an s472 IIRC. I'll point Mike towards this, he knows more details. I forget what injectors were in it. Either way it ran great. We drove this truck from MD-GA and back with this setup and I spent a fair amount of time driving it. That setup drove AWESOME!

Mdub707

Reaction score
I've been bugging them about that setup, last I knew it was no longer in use and no plans to pursue it. They're focusing on 6.7 stuff.

strokin6L

Reaction score
MPD built this setup with an 03 turbo and an s472 IIRC. I'll point Mike towards this, he knows more details. I forget what injectors were in it. Either way it ran great. We drove this truck from MD-GA and back with this setup and I spent a fair amount of time driving it. That setup drove AWESOME!

the injectors on MPD's vgt compound setup were 225/100's with the stock vgt turbo and a s472 like you mentioned with a 40mm jgs waste gate. I remember MPD saying that it towed awesome with low smoke and low egts.

Last edited:

strokin6L

Reaction score
Here's MPD's vgt compound setup.

Attachments

• 644297_494660623925889_1305762212_n.jpg
    644297_494660623925889_1305762212_n.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 91

NORCAL6.0

Reaction score
the injectors on MPD's vgt compound setup were 225/100's with the stock vgt turbo and a s472 like you mentioned with a 40mm jgs waste gate. I remember MPD saying that it towed awesome with low low egts.

This sounds great , maybe with stage 1 vgt and a 472... 190's/100

NORCAL6.0

Reaction score
Hey Matt, it's Oliver.

The least I'd go is a 190. Probably stick with 205/75 on the injectors. Especially if your running the stock hpo pump. I ran the stage3 hp charger for a while and I must say I love the 60 a lot more. Spool is faster and bp numbers aren't moving up as fast as with the stage3
Matt at cutting edge just sent me a kit. I'll text you his number bud

Stock hpop that's why I was looking at the 190's + towing reasons, but if some has a twin or modded hpop kit, let me know lol

NORCAL6.0

Reaction score
IMO you probably want something larger than 190s to take advantage of the compound setup you are describing.

If you use a stage 3 vgt for you HP turbo then the truck will only spool as fast as the HP turbo. If you don't have enough fuel to take advantage of the extra air from the LP then you will not see very many gains in hp, tow ability, drive abilty etc. The reason I mention that is many people run 190s with just a stage 3 and have great power, great driveability, egts, etc... You could just run the stage 3 and be happy with 190s. No reason to add a huge lp charger to a turbo already sized well for the injectors.

Not bashing your idea but I would not do the setup you describe with 190s... either the injectors would have to be bigger, hp turbo would have to be smaller, or I would not do compounds and just stick with the stage 3 turbo

Ur not bashing, u have great points... I thought of running just the stage 2 vgt with 190's and be done... But making a true towing twin kit is my goal, people have done it i understand, but here on the west coast I feel like its a (arms race) to find the best setup... While central/east coast have already did the setup and changed it already...

Latest posts

Members online