Two flexplates, one week.

Jesse

Reaction score
Just broke the flexplate in my truck for the second time in a week today... I give up on this one. I figured the first one was a fluke, but now another one? Truck has 200k miles. Nothing fancy with the mods. Both breakages happened when cruising on the highway 75-80 mph. My only theory is something is causing some type of movement in the flexplate and heat, causing it to fail. I haven't really noticed any crazy vibration when driving the truck. Attached is a pic on the flexplate I broke last sunday. Any ideas out there of what might cause repeated flexplate failures??

Attachments

• IMG_20140928_211634_635.jpg
    IMG_20140928_211634_635.jpg
    625.1 KB · Views: 80

Mdub707

Reaction score
I broke one stock flexplate last year in my truck. Dealer put the new one in and haven't had any problems since then. Not really sure why mine even broke, when I researched it at the time I could only find one or two other threads with it happening across a few forums. Everyone told me to just put a stocker back in it was a fluke. Been going strong on the new stocker for a while now with more mods and no issues. My guess would be the first one was a fluke, but the second one had to have been damaged during install or something. I can't believe it would break that quickly without having some sort of deformation or flaw of some sort.

Jesse

Reaction score
I'm hoping there's some type of explanation when they get it apart. If not, I still feel like I'm rolling the dice putting another stocker in there. I think even if I go billet i'm still taking a chance if there's an underlying issue causing the failure and going billet might just be an expensive temporary bandaid. My ford dealer buddy's powerstroke tech a few towns over said the only thing he could think of is excessive in/out crank play... but I feel like if that was the problem I would be having much more issues.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
A walking crank does not make much sense to me. the torque converter has some play in it so it would give and pull the TC forward.

Jesse

Reaction score
Unfortunately the verdict is in... Crank is walking. I thought about billet but I think that would just be a bandaid. Another stock flexplate is in so I can drive around town, I wont be taking any roadtrips with the truck.

I'm unloading the truck. Anybody interested?

Also going to swap a rebuilt stock turbo back in next week and sell the powermax. Guess I'll make a classified thread.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
I was just getting ready to say crank walk when I saw this thread, not in psd but had a little s10 shop truck this was happening to, when the motor would get heat into it etc it would cause the crank to walk and tore up 2 flexplates in the same week.

Where are you located?

Jesse

Reaction score
How was the crank walking detirmined?

With a screwdriver :(

Vid: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5upqcviiwjcz43z/VID_20141001_093921_943.mp4?dl=0

I was just getting ready to say crank walk when I saw this thread, not in psd but had a little s10 shop truck this was happening to, when the motor would get heat into it etc it would cause the crank to walk and tore up 2 flexplates in the same week.

Where are you located?

West coast of FL

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.