Typical mileage to consider EGR ******?

ToddEdge

Reaction score
I'm brand new to 6.0's. I'm picking up a stock '06 next week with 107K on it. The seller just had the EGR and turbo cleaned. My first upgrade was the EGR removal kit but, with fairly low mileage, I wanted to know from others if I need to jump on this item or if most people make it to 150K or more before they really worry about doing the upgrade?

Thanks - Todd

Zmann

Reaction score
day 1 out of warranty is the rule of thumb for the dele t

your well past that ;-)

I have to run thru emissions and get a visual so i have to leave mine in place
so i run a bulletproof cooler

co04cobra

Reaction score
Mile 1 on the odo was the BEST time to do it, but second best is now!

ToddEdge

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll go ahead and start collecting the parts.

While I'm doing the EGR, what else is good to do since things will be apart?

Socom

Reaction score
I too just picked up a low mile (76k) 2006 6.0.

What brand does everyone recommend for EGR d3lete? I've heard the blue silicone couplers like to leak after doing it.

d3lete, new oem oil cooler, hpop fitting, stand pipes and dummy plugs, coolant flush with ELC, and the coolant filter system.

I've already purchased the Sinister coolant filter kit so I just need to flush my system and do that. I'm not sure its necessary to do the aftermarket engine oil cooler and studs if I don't plan on modding the truck that much. I really only want a mild towing tune and exhaust. Are studs still necessary?

ToddEdge

Reaction score

What brand does everyone recommend for EGR d3lete? I've heard the blue silicone couplers like to leak after doing it.

d3lete, new oem oil cooler, hpop fitting, stand pipes and dummy plugs, coolant flush with ELC, and the coolant filter system.

I've already purchased the Sinister coolant filter kit so I just need to flush my system and do that. I'm not sure its necessary to do the aftermarket engine oil cooler and studs if I don't plan on modding the truck that much. I really only want a mild towing tune and exhaust. Are studs still necessary?

Good questions. We're both in the same boat...

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Personally i like going to home depot, getting a piece of sheet metal, about 1/8in or so, use a hole saw and weld up both ends of the cooler. But.... i hav emissions i need to visually pass.

Vawter

Reaction score
IPR Gen 2 is the best egr kit in my opinion. Completely eliminates the blue hose and most opportunities for it to leak. I put a standard kit on mine the first go around but the thing leaked pretty much from day one. This last time I had my heads redone I swapped it out with the IPR kit and love it. It's a little more pricey, but it is worth it to not have coolant leaking and getting paranoid your headgaskets have blown.

Socom

Reaction score
It's definitely a nice looking piece and I like the construction over the typical ******s with the J bend pipe. I probably should get an Edge cts or equivalent too so I can keep an eye on stuff. I wonder if any companies are having a killer black Friday sale so I can stock up on parts :)

powerlifter405

Reaction score

I got a single owner truck at the 290ish mark. It was 100% stock, minus 2 injectors replaced at the 125kish mark.

I have just over I'm approaching 305k. On the motor it was minus'd and de-cat'd when I got it by me and all new Ford injectors. As far as reliability mods that is it, mechanically I'll drive it anywhere.

On your EGR question, my blue one leaked as well, AS did the oring on the tube. I have some heater hose that fit and leak no more.

On your coolant kit, watch the ball-c@ck fittings as both mine have a nice gentle very slow drip.

If your Oil and coolant temps are w/in 15* of each other you'll be good according to ford. I fluctuate at 6-10*, empty or pulling, winter or summer.

If you have studs, you can do heads on, people will tell you otherwise BUT if you can afford time and money to pull it and have it decked, etc, etc, heads-on/motor in is a viable option for a truck that has had no prior issues and that has been maintained. That's my plan as if my motor is coming out it will be rebuilt or the truck will be 5.9'd.

Good luck.

Corys6.0

Reaction score
I got a single owner truck at the 290ish mark. It was 100% stock, minus 2 injectors replaced at the 125kish mark.

I have just over I'm approaching 305k. On the motor it was minus'd and de-cat'd when I got it by me and all new Ford injectors. As far as reliability mods that is it, mechanically I'll drive it anywhere.

On your EGR question, my blue one leaked as well, AS did the oring on the tube. I have some heater hose that fit and leak no more.

On your coolant kit, watch the ball-c@ck fittings as both mine have a nice gentle very slow drip.

If your Oil and coolant temps are w/in 15* of each other you'll be good according to ford. I fluctuate at 6-10*, empty or pulling, winter or summer.

If you have studs, you can do heads on, people will tell you otherwise BUT if you can afford time and money to pull it and have it decked, etc, etc, heads-on/motor in is a viable option for a truck that has had no prior issues and that has been maintained. That's my plan as if my motor is coming out it will be rebuilt or the truck will be 5.9'd.

Good luck.

Are you saying 305k miles with factory EGR in place or is it ******d? Either way that's absolutely amazing.

powerstrokelyfe

Reaction score
I can run my 05 100% stock tune, no SCT and I don't get the light. I have read it is PCM dependent.

05's are tricky. depends if its an early or later build. some will have the light, some won't.

Op, hence you have an 06, get a tuner to shut off the light.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.