Unloaded temps on my 6.4 after a bunch if work done to it.

dwc032

Reaction score
Just had 7k worth of work done on my 6.4. ARP, Bullet Proof egr coolers, Ford factory oil cooler, mishimoto radiator and a bunch of other stuff.

Took truck to parents house, unloaded and just family in back. Ambient temp was 95 and went up the local pass. About 5% grade for 10 miles and set cruise at 62. When I got to the top the oil temp was 230, coolent temp was 228 and tranny temp was 217. These are the temps I'd see pulling my trailer. Fan turned on for a brief moment.

Any ideas why temps are so high or is this normal?? On flat ground temps were normal and no more then 2-3 degrees apart.

dwc032

Reaction score
Yes coolant was flushed and thermostat was replaced. I called my mechanic and he said being 95-100 degrees outside those temps are not really anything to worry about with cruise set at 62 and going up a 5% grade.

I'm thinking there's gotta be something wrong with temps that high and completely unloaded. Just weird on flat ground I was only 2-4 degrees apart on EOT/ECT.

Last edited:

Stroked777

Reaction score
Those seem very high to me. I live in NY and on the hottest days last year, after my studs were done, I would still only see maybe 203 tops. No matter how hard I beat it.

Actually one day last year, on the hottest day all year my buddy's 6.0 overheated bad, to the point we turn the heat on to help cool it off and it melted the dash vents, and I took my truck out and beat the snot out of it to see if I could get the temps to climb and they never got over 203. And that was over 100 degrees out. What I would do is ale sure the air can actually flow through the radiator. You be surprised how many times a truck came into our shop with an over heating issue and it was from the radiator being plugged up with road grime and oil and wasn't letting the heat transfer efficiently

dwc032

Reaction score
Those seem very high to me. I live in NY and on the hottest days last year, after my studs were done, I would still only see maybe 203 tops. No matter how hard I beat it.

Actually one day last year, on the hottest day all year my buddy's 6.0 overheated bad, to the point we turn the heat on to help cool it off and it melted the dash vents, and I took my truck out and beat the snot out of it to see if I could get the temps to climb and they never got over 203. And that was over 100 degrees out. What I would do is ale sure the air can actually flow through the radiator. You be surprised how many times a truck came into our shop with an over heating issue and it was from the radiator being plugged up with road grime and oil and wasn't letting the heat transfer efficiently

Ok thanks!! Il see if that is the problem.

Latest posts

Members online