Up pipe recommendations. Debating on upgrading from stock while turbo is out

brandonmc07

Reaction score
My factory up pipes aren't leaking yet but I have the turbo out right now because I'm upgrading to riffraff's non-ebpv pedestal and a garret high flow outlet due to oil leaks. From what I read, it's not if, it's when your up pipes will leak. It's a 2001 with 105k miles. When did you guys upgrade yours? And if you you haven't and still not leaking, how many miles are you running on the factory pipes? I'm looking at international's bellowed stainless on riff-raff for $399 with the ceramic option for $540. Is the ceramic really even worth it? Anyway, I'm just trying to decide if I should just go ahead and drop the cash on a new set now while I have everything out.

JD3020

Reaction score
I've had Dorman up-pipes on my F-450 for 2 years now, truck gets ran pretty hard daily with no issues. Think i paid $120 for them? Generally i hate cheap aftermarket parts, but surprisingly their up-pipes seem to be good.

The Brad

Reaction score
Mine started leaking around 110k and I just replaced the donut seals...that didn't work worth a damn, so I took it all apart again and went with the Internationals. That ceramic coating price seems pretty steep. I think I paid $75 to have my T4 pipes coated.

brandonmc07

Reaction score
Well I went ahead and ordered the internationals today. I'm dreading the install though. If you guys have any tricks or pointers, let me know. Thanks

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
dont worry about trying to unbolt the factory ones. just get a blue wrench in there or a wheel and cut them. dont tighten anything until everything is set in place

The Brad

Reaction score
I've never had to cut them. Just unbolt from the manifolds and wiggle 'em out of the baby's but, then yank the turbo with the baby's butt attached.

Before installing the new ones, bolt the driver side pipe to the baby's butt, then drop it in and install the passenger side. Leave everything loose until the turbo is installed.

brandonmc07

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Ya hopefully I won't have to mess with cutting but if I do, CTC DEEZUL, what exactly do you mean by a "blue wrench"? My guess is a torch. Lol

HBDELUX

Reaction score
If you Spray all the nuts and bolts down real good with penetrating oil the day before it will help. For assembly do as stated above.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I will let you guys know how it goes. Just need a day or two off work!

I'm getting ready to do my up-pipes and EBPV ******d pedestal too. Looking forward to some pics from you. Btw, where in VA are you from?

brandonmc07

Reaction score
I need to change my location. I was stationed at Quantico Marine Corps Base north Fredericksburg. In Missouri now. Ya I'll post some pics. My CCV doghouse is leaking too so im throwing new orings in there along with the doghouse, becuase it's corroding.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I need to change my location. I was stationed at Quantico Marine Corps Base north Fredericksburg. In Missouri now. Ya I'll post some pics. My CCV doghouse is leaking too so im throwing new orings in there along with the doghouse, becuase it's corroding.
That's cool. What was your mos?

How do you like those hybrids? Who built them?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Flounder_Pounder

Reaction score
dont worry about trying to unbolt the factory ones. just get a blue wrench in there or a wheel and cut them. dont tighten anything until everything is set in place

Ditto, just cut the old out on the bottom. I've done both Dorman and International, the international are nicer and go in easier.... But not 300 dollars nicer and easier :shrug:

BS Hauler

Reaction score
Mine has 130,000 on it and I am changing my turbo so I bought new up pipes. My bolts that are in the manifolds were so corroded in that I finally had to lift my cab off to get the rest of the pieces out of them. I bought the IH up pipes. So as long as my cab was off I decided to put exhaust wrap on them. I am also installing a RiffRaff Frx and making new fuel lines and getting rid of the steel lines from the fuel bowl to the heads. I think that I am going to change injectors while I am at it also.

brandonmc07

Reaction score
I was a helicopter crew chief 6172. The hybrids are from diesel innovations. Their the only after markets I've ever had so I don't really have much to compare them to, but I like them so far. About 20k miles on them with no problems. Huge power upgrade from stock of course.

brandonmc07

Reaction score
Well I stripped the heads on 2 of the turbo outlet bolts. So until I get those out so I can put my new blank outlet on, I'm at a stand still on installing the up pipes.

brandonmc07

Reaction score
Well I got it done. The only problem I had was 2 stripped bolts on the turbo outlet. The passenger side up pipe to manifold bolts were pretty tough to remove and install. I did pull it off without remove fender liners or the exhaust downpipe.

superpsd

Reaction score
Quick tip. I used the pink injector O rings to seal my CCV. The rings that separates the fuel from the oil to seals my CCV. They work better than the factory o ring design in my opinion.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.