Up pipe time

Poon

Reaction score
I just applied my first of many coats of PB Blaster to the bolts, going to do this every day for the next week or so. I did a good deal of reading on doing the replacement today and I looked under truck afterwards to try to put it together in my mind. My brass doughnuts are on the way and I will be starting on this next weekend. My only question that I'm not sure of is, do I have to pull the turbo out to do this ? I saw on only 1 thread where someone said it was a must.
Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
Yes the turbo will have to come out, I just sprayed pb blaster the night before then in the morning right before I started and everything broke loose fine.

squeak12

Reaction score
Pulling the turbo isn't too bad. If nothing else it is a good learning experience and will give you a chance to change the o rings if they need it.

Poon

Reaction score
Thanks. I took the turbo off just a couple months ago to gut the pedestal. It's not too bad, just would rather avoid it if possible. That's what I needed to know though. I'll need to order go ahead and put in an order for new O rings too.

squeak12

Reaction score
Use a dab of grease on the rings to hold them in place, so they don't slide out of the grooves when putting the turbo back on.

Poon

Reaction score
Well, I went ahead and snatched the turbo. I have gotten the bolts out at the bottom and sprayed PB on the bolts up top tonight. I think I will have to pull the down pipe to get good access to the bolts in the morning. What I'm unclear on now is, if I have to pull all this stuff to get the bolts out, and then put it back together to drive it to get them good and hot, how am I going to re torque them with it back together ? Will I have to pull DP again or just drive without it ?

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
Probably don't want to drive with out the DP, I didn't pull mine just put it all in there and bolted it up. I don't have a torque wrench though

Poon

Reaction score
Yeah but with the brass doughnuts it says they must be heated up and re torqued because they expand and have to be re tightened. I didn't figure running with no DP was a good idea though.

Arisley

Reaction score
Don't bother with a torque wrench. Just tighten them down good. You can reach them with extensions, u-joints and wobble sockets.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Don't bother with a torque wrench. Just tighten them down good. You can reach them with extensions, u-joints and wobble sockets.

:whs: Get about 3 feet of extensions and a wobble on the end. You might try putting a piece of tape around the wobble socket to stabilize it from moving so much. No need for a torque wrench. Just put some muscle into it.

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
:whs: Get about 3 feet of extensions and a wobble on the end. You might try putting a piece of tape around the wobble socket to stabilize it from moving so much. No need for a torque wrench. Just put some muscle into it.

LOL that sounds fun

Poon

Reaction score
Got it finished today. It was a b1tch but doable. Thanks guys.

Poon

Reaction score
My up pipes have been done for a few weeks now. I just started hearing a leak yesterday. It looks like when I put the pipes back, one must have been touching the block and now has a hole. I've gotten it un bolted, but I can't get it out. I'm thinking I should drop the motor mount and lift the motor. Any advice before I do that. It's the driver side pipe.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
My up pipes have been done for a few weeks now. I just started hearing a leak yesterday. It looks like when I put the pipes back, one must have been touching the block and now has a hole. I've gotten it un bolted, but I can't get it out. I'm thinking I should drop the motor mount and lift the motor. Any advice before I do that. It's the driver side pipe.

How can you not get that one out? That is the easiest one to remove.

Poon

Reaction score
How can you not get that one out? That is the easiest one to remove.

Well then, please share. I didn't get it out when I did have the turbo out. I could pull the turbo, but I'm trying to not un seat the other pipe if I don't have to.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Have you removed the collar that attaches the uppie to the collector. There is enough room in the collector to push the pipe up and rotate it enough to slide straight down but only if you remove the collar from the collector.

Latest posts

Members online