Update on my rig

madman1234509

Reaction score
Ever think about just putting stock lifters back in it? I know people worry about them failing, but there are plenty of high hp trucks running oem ones.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
From my experience with some high seat pressures in SBC's solids are not required. You have to run Schubeck style lifters, Crower makes some as do others. Basically when they pump up they are solids per say. On small block motors, take the clatter out and they are good nothing past lash. Now with solids in gas engines I know you have to change some of the oiling in the top end. Plugs in the block to bleeders, etc. Maybe that was the problem here. Top end getting less oil.

Someone please explain why you would run solids on these engines? RPM is not high enough. With the spring rates I have seen they are way under a dual spring kit for a gas engines. The only reason is cam profile is very aggressive but the numbers I have seen cant be too aggressive if the valve lift is less than .400". With a top end already needing more oil taking the hydraulic lifters out seems counter productive.
Am I out in left field with this thinking or not?

NathannialD

Reaction score
Ever think about just putting stock lifters back in it? I know people worry about them failing, but there are plenty of high hp trucks running oem ones.

the reason we went with the solid setup was the short amt of time it was running during dpc it had several lifters that were collapsed, it took a while for them to pump back up after the truck had been shut down.

Really not something that matters now just the thought process then.

NathannialD

Reaction score
From my experience with some high seat pressures in SBC's solids are not required. You have to run Schubeck style lifters, Crower makes some as do others. Basically when they pump up they are solids per say. On small block motors, take the clatter out and they are good nothing past lash. Now with solids in gas engines I know you have to change some of the oiling in the top end. Plugs in the block to bleeders, etc. Maybe that was the problem here. Top end getting less oil.

Someone please explain why you would run solids on these engines? RPM is not high enough. With the spring rates I have seen they are way under a dual spring kit for a gas engines. The only reason is cam profile is very aggressive but the numbers I have seen cant be too aggressive if the valve lift is less than .400". With a top end already needing more oil taking the hydraulic lifters out seems counter productive.
Am I out in left field with this thinking or not?

we run more lift than .400 fwiw, also the solid lifters require less oil at least the ones we use. also read the post above, he didnt get many miles before lifters were starting to collapse. not arguing just letting you know our reasoning.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
How in the world could the solid lifters cause all of that? Lash was set and that's it. At that point they are just like any other motor with solid lifters.

But what do I know

I don't know I am guessing, I can't get any answers from anyone of what could cause all this so fast. All I was told is maybe lubrication. Ummm ok. So the rest is up to me or others guessing. I never said those things caused all of that, I said they may have contributed to it. No one can show me other wise I will still think that

Erikclaw

Reaction score
We have used quite a few of them, but in nothing that takes this much abuse

I am putting Side Action Diesel's lifters in, was going to back to stock and I didn't know these were out. What is a lot of abuse and when did it see it? It only was used by me in DPC then I drove it 5000 miles, sled pull, boom. That is all the miles it had on it.

Reaction score
It really doesn't matter what happened. That's probably never going to be proved. And it really doesn't matter. It's starting new, and going to a proven setup that will last and be done.

Fwiw I'm excited about the new lifters we have available for these platforms. Although I know I've put oem and mahle ones through a lot more rpms and a lot of high spring rates and high psi than most. Nothing's perfect. But with the 3.0 pulling truck engine we are doing solid crowed lifters with pressure lubed bearings and some experimental one off pushrods. And a very different radical billet solid roller cam profile.

But that's not really anything that applies to 99% of these trucks.

Carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erikclaw

Reaction score
It really doesn't matter what happened. That's probably never going to be proved. And it really doesn't matter. It's starting new, and going to a proven setup that will last and be done.

Fwiw I'm excited about the new lifters we have available for these platforms. Although I know I've put oem and mahle ones through a lot more rpms and a lot of high spring rates and high psi than most. Nothing's perfect. But with the 3.0 pulling truck engine we are doing solid crowed lifters with pressure lubed bearings and some experimental one off pushrods. And a very different radical billet solid roller cam profile.

But that's not really anything that applies to 99% of these trucks.

Carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah you are right Morgan. I was just hung up on it cause I want to know if it was something avoidable. Probably wasn't but ohh well. On to the next chapter and hopefully a long one. LOL

tbsimmons

Reaction score
From what was said above about a lot of your lifters collapsing sticks out to me. I can see a one off but many. I would bet that part of the problem is oil pressure in the top end. No pressure hydraulics don't work. Collapse the lifter. Valve doesn't open. More fuel. Exhaust doesn't leave. More fuel. Burn piston and tear rings up. My theory at least. I am sure they will but whoever checks your engine I would check the oil galleys for the cam and lifters. After the rebuild I would put a manual pressure gauge in a port at the top end if you can just to double check it.
Eric just for example I have ran hydraulics on cars with much more seat pressure than what springs I have read about for the 6.4 heads and .570+ lift at the valve. Hydraulics are fine.

Sent from the bat phone near a drilling rig.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Could the high backpressure from the triple setup have anything to do with the oem lifters failing?

tbsimmons

Reaction score
The reason I posted the above is I have seen nitrous do this to cylinders and rings. If you run on the rich side fuel can get between the rings and burn them up or pop the ring lands and crack the piston. I am sure diesel can do the same.

Sent from the bat phone near a drilling rig.

Latest posts

Members online