Upfitter switch question on '13

RyanD

Reaction score
I searched the forum, couldn't find anything...today I went out and pulled the nest of wires near the parking brake to locate Aux 1. My '13 had a nice list of what wires were what, but none indicated AUX.

So I went and grabbed the wiring diagram from the fleet.ford.com site, and it indicated that AUX 1 is a solid yellow wire. I don't have a solid yellow in my bundle, just a yellow green. Am I missing something or looking in the wrong place? Between this and the need to cut my tow hooks, this 40" bar is becoming a pain :)

Thanks!!
Ryan

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Look further up the dash not down by where the steering column goes through the firewall but more up by the OBD II port. Also there is a wiring chart in the owners manual as well. The bundle of wires that you found will have the "pass though" wires that you can use to get trough the firewall I forget which color those wires are but your fleet ford site should tell you that.

RyanD

Reaction score
Look further up the dash not down by where the steering column goes through the firewall but more up by the OBD II port. Also there is a wiring chart in the owners manual as well. The bundle of wires that you found will have the "pass though" wires that you can use to get trough the firewall I forget which color those wires are but your fleet ford site should tell you that.

Thanks, I'll keep looking. I pulled a big bundle of taped wires down right near the firewall, and even found the pass through wires (verified by going into the engine bay and looking for the same colored ones). Just did not see a solid yellow wire, or even any other Aux wire for that matter (according to the fleet ford schematic)

WHY NOT

Reaction score
They are up there just further back normally at least thats where mine are all at it will be in just a group of 4 wires

PDT1081

Reaction score
They are up there just further back normally at least thats where mine are all at it will be in just a group of 4 wires

Mine were taped to the harness coming out of the relay box. But, my truck didn't come from the factory with them.

OP, try pulling the dash piece off next to the door. The one you can't see when the door is closed. That's where the relay box is located.

charles henson

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
^^this,its behind the headlight switch and the side panel,theres two relay assemblies itll be the one on left looking threw where the headlight switch is.That headlight switch panel just snaps in so yank it out and youll see the relays its held in by two screws,locate the wiring coming out of it&youll find your yellow wire&three others blunt cut&taped on it like the pass through wires good luck.

RyanD

Reaction score
Yep, pulling that smaller panel by the door was the key. I spliced a wire to the pass through, hooked my light up and verified power through the firewall via the switch. Now I just have to order brackets and rent a plasma cutter for the tow hooks.

Thanks!!
Ryan

RyanD

Reaction score
State does require one (Texas), but have never been hassled over it. For now its in my dashboard in the window, but I'm going to mount it somewhere up front soon.

gfulton

Reaction score
State does require one (Texas), but have never been hassled over it. For now its in my dashboard in the window, but I'm going to mount it somewhere up front soon.

DPS will if they see you. Probably just give you a warning but the second time,
well I would not chance it. Ask me how I know..lol

BOHICA256

Reaction score
Had a buddy with it in the windshield and DPS wrote him the ticket first time..

The law for Texas says both plates have to be mounted on the exterior of the vehicle. Just looked it up because mines in my windshield right now lol. Guess it's going on the lower valence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BOHICA256

Reaction score
I like it! And I bet they pop with the truck being black
I'm gonna get the come and take it plates sometime next year

RyanD

Reaction score
Yeah, they really do. When I had them on my blue Jeep Commander, I was accused of being a Michigan fan..it probably didn't help I had the Old Man Emu lift with yellow shocks, so from the rear it was blue on yellow all day.

Be ready to have lots of parking lot conversations when you get them. I am super popular at Lowe's! Ha!

BOHICA256

Reaction score
I wouldn't doubt the conversation starting haha. When I had the big infidel sticker I can't tell you how many thumbs up I got while driving around town.
And of course the dirty looks from the people with their "change" stickers LOL.

Gotta get the plate on the front asap.. I got pulled over this morning by DPS. I guess my D2s are too bright😑 warnings for the lights and for the plate.

Michael

Reaction score
To those of you with upfitter switches, do the lights in the upfitter switches dim with the factory dash lights, or just stay full brightness? Trying to help people figure out where to hook up their gauge lighting, and also what voltage the illumination wiring will be at.

FORD-DNA

Reaction score
Off the subject of the wires, but what are you doing with your front license plate? Or does your state not require a front license plate?

Just today I re-located my license plate to the air dam down below in preparation of installing my 20" light bar in the bumper. I used my Dremel tool to grind some of the plastic off of the license plate holder and then ran some nuts & bolts thru it. License plate is rock solid. I liked using the factory plate holder because it's the same color and material as the air dam. Now looking at this pic closely I need to adjust it a Lil'bit but I think it turned out great.

image-6.jpg

JACKAL

Reaction score
I searched the forum, couldn't find anything...today I went out and pulled the nest of wires near the parking brake to locate Aux 1. My '13 had a nice list of what wires were what, but none indicated AUX.

So I went and grabbed the wiring diagram from the fleet.ford.com site, and it indicated that AUX 1 is a solid yellow wire. I don't have a solid yellow in my bundle, just a yellow green. Am I missing something or looking in the wrong place? Between this and the need to cut my tow hooks, this 40" bar is becoming a pain :)

Thanks!!
Ryan

Here I got tired of looking blind this explains it all with video and wiring diagram.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUEs34ot5sA

I don't know why on earth they hijack a wiring thread with front license plates :eek:fftopic

Latest posts

Members online