Upgrade Opinions

dean148802

Reaction score
So I recently bought my new favorite truck I will probably keep forever. So much potential. 1997 F-250 7.3 powerstroke 2wd with 85k. I have read many of the tech/ aftermarket topics on here and was wondering what would be the best upgrades. It currently has a tranny cooler, k&n filter only, intercooler, 3 gauge pod and pretty sure a banks exhaust. had the banks ottomind but i took it out due to a 605 code. I know i need a new water pump. Are their currently any good aftermarket ones? Should anything be replaced along with that? Might need a pcm, are their any options on getting one of those? What else should be added. I want to keep it reliable. At least until i get a flywheel and torque converter. Could I get a larger turbo, downpipe? I plan on getting a chip from another member who helped out with my last topic. What does everyone think? Im all ears:ford:

old man dave

Reaction score
Since you have an intercooler and a Banks Ottomind you may have the Banks PowerPack. Intercooler, stock style K&N reusable filter element, round downpipe, Ottomind chip and a mandrel bent tailpipe was part of the package retaining the stock OBS muffler. Part of the package was a 1.0 exhaust turbo housing for better low-midrange response. It would have a 1.0 cast into the housing instead of 1.15 (stock).

If you do still have the stock K&N factory style filter (Fits in factory airbox), get rid of it and replace it with a Tymar style air intake. Its a good decision to trash the Ottomind chip its not very good and runs high EGTs especially while towing. A tuner style chip is a good buy for the truck. Replacing the turbo is probably not worth it. Do you have a stick or automatic?

dean148802

Reaction score
i figured it was a type of banks system. I took the Ottomind out due to a 605 code for a bad pcm. Im going to have to disconnect the alarm and check to see if it will reflash again or get a new pcm. It is an automatic transmission but i do not know if it is a 40 or 100... i would like to eventually see if their is a few upgrades for that other than a torque converter/flywheel setup. Why do you think that a turbo upgrade wouldn't be worth it? I am not sure if their is a new turbo housing, I'll look into it. I also plan on getting a new intake system very shortly with a new chip. What about a different differential? Thanks for the reply!!

davey99ps

Reaction score
Do you have any set hp goals? That'll help us get you pointed in the right direction. If your not gonna get to crazy with it, some easy an mild upgrades I'd recommend is a BTS valve body an tq converter, the new style wicked wheel that was just released has shown a lot of potential for a stock turbo, the only other 2 things I'd consider is a E-fuel set-up an maybe some slightly bigger injectors depending on your power goals

dean148802

Reaction score
No no set hp. I will be planning a engine build as soon as I find a good used engine for cheap in town. If i were to get all the things you recommended would I be better off getting a new hpop and head bolts to prevent a blown headgasket?

Buffalo444

Reaction score
No no set hp. I will be planning a engine build as soon as I find a good used engine for cheap in town. If i were to get all the things you recommended would I be better off getting a new hpop and head bolts to prevent a blown headgasket?

Studs are your friend when it comes to holding your head gasket on. New bolts arent worth it.

sent from the rust monster

davey99ps

Reaction score

It all depends on how far you wanna go an what your hp goals are honestly. E-fuel is nice cuz it gets rid of that stupid fuel filter on top of the motor an gives it a cleaner look, also it smooths the idle down considerably, plus it'll make your injectors a lot happier. As far as doing an hpop, that depends on injectors really. I really like my T-500, but it's pretty close to its limit with my current injectors, but it's really affordable an would work great with smaller injectors. If you plan on going bigger though, I'd look into stealth's SRP1.1, or a dual pump set-up.

Like I said though, it's hard to point you in a direction without knowing your power goals, or what your gonna use the truck for.

dean148802

Reaction score
The truck is going to be my daily driver so I will not be going huge but everything that is being mentioned sounds good. As long as it stays dependable. What size injectors do you have? I will be getting studs before I do anything probably. I do not want to risk blown heads, money, and time. What would be the best e-fuel setup?

Nodge

Reaction score
Engine build?
That stocker isn't even broke in yet at 80k.
It has forged rods, what do you want to change?
Add head studs, valve springs, push rods, fuel system, then you're good to 500 HP easy with an upgraded turbo and some 200cc injectors.

Latest posts

Members online