upgraded zf6 hydraulics

early99powerstroke

Reaction score
Anyone know of any upgraded hydraulics for the zf6? Every 6.4 with a sb dual disc clutch that has come into the shop has worn out the factory hydraulics where the grab and release of the clutch is near the bottom of the clutch pedal.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
The real upgrade is welding a chain to it and using that south bend clutch as a boat anchor.

Firstly: They likely sent you an early (pre 2000) style release arm. Verify this by looking at the number stamped into it.

Secondly: The release bearing is likely incorrect for the application.

Thirdly: They'll likely tell you that the pressure plate is at fault next.

After almost 3 years of ****ing with almost every hydraulic setup known to man, the clutch was swapped out for a Valair and fresh aftermarket (aluminum) slave and master, and it drives like a different truck. It also doesn't sound like a mid 80's GM truck with the release bearing pounded out of it.

If you want to try, source the aluminum setup, from Amazon. There's a lot less deflection in the actual housings under pressure.

You'll also have to make your own master and slave pushrods and play with the length to get it to work at least half-assed, but it will never be right, and it will continue to drive like poop. This research is based on the SB clutch with the proper 2008 release arm and bearing.

Hope this helps.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the setup that's in my buddy's truck currently has a longer-than-stock slave pushrod, but I can't remember offhand. It was the remnants of the last attempt we made at making it driveable with the south bend clutch in it.

The south bend clutch in his truck did not work properly from day 1, and the transmission has been out and in of the truck so many times I might as well have just put velcro between the bellhousing and engine block. My buddy is less than overjoyed because he has spent far too much money on this project trying to get something that's even remotely driveable.

It would seem to me that a lot of people (not necessarily anyone in this thread or this or any particular forum) seem to think it's "manly" to have a manual trans truck that shifts like a clunky old piece of ****. My buddy wanted something that you could actually drive in traffic and not have to punch the dashboard trying to pull and push the shifter around because the clutch doesn't disengage properly, regardless of what hydraulics, pushrods, or otherwise were installed.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
I have a kennys pulling parts double disc in mine and its not bad at all to drive. Honestly the pedal is the same as stock maybe even a bit softer. And its not a pain at all to shift. Now I don't try and bang through the gears every time I shift either since I know its hard on the syncro's. But if I need to I can very easily. I am personally not a fan of south bend clutches. I have never owned one so I guess thats not fair to them, but I have probably 8-10 close friends who have had them and I wasn't impressed. And neither were about half of them. Thats why I went the route I did. OP how many miles are on the truck your talking about?

B585Ford

Reaction score
Anyone know of any upgraded hydraulics for the zf6? Every 6.4 with a sb dual disc clutch that has come into the shop has worn out the factory hydraulics where the grab and release of the clutch is near the bottom of the clutch pedal.

First, my 3850 is way overkill for my application. I bought the truck used and this is what the previous owner put on it. For my future goals, I think a 3650 is what I need and right now, I am sure the 3250 would be fine. I do blow a slave cylinder with mine at 45k but mine is one of the first 3850s they released. I have heard the newer ones are much better. I also blew the line off my slave cylinder at 60k. This clutch is loud and shifts very slow which I attributed to it being one of the first ones. That being said, it has been bulletproof. I looked into upgraded hydraulics also but came up empty. If you find something, please let me know.

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
The real upgrade is welding a chain to it and using that south bend clutch as a boat anchor.

Firstly: They likely sent you an early (pre 2000) style release arm. Verify this by looking at the number stamped into it.

Secondly: The release bearing is likely incorrect for the application.

Thirdly: They'll likely tell you that the pressure plate is at fault next.

After almost 3 years of ****ing with almost every hydraulic setup known to man, the clutch was swapped out for a Valair and fresh aftermarket (aluminum) slave and master, and it drives like a different truck. It also doesn't sound like a mid 80's GM truck with the release bearing pounded out of it.

If you want to try, source the aluminum setup, from Amazon. There's a lot less deflection in the actual housings under pressure.

You'll also have to make your own master and slave pushrods and play with the length to get it to work at least half-assed, but it will never be right, and it will continue to drive like poop. This research is based on the SB clutch with the proper 2008 release arm and bearing.

Hope this helps.

Something was CLEARLY wrong with your SB clutch... I have driven my friend Matt's 900+ hp truck MANY times with the SB 3850 clutch and can tell you first hand that the pedal feel is NOT stiff at all. Not much more than stock honestly. Oh and it sounds nothing like "mid 80's GM truck with the release bearing pounded out of it." Just putting this out there FYI...

On edit: This is with STOCK OEM hydraulics

Last edited:

B585Ford

Reaction score
Something was CLEARLY wrong with your SB clutch... I have driven my friend Matt's 900+ hp truck MANY times with the SB 3850 clutch and can tell you first hand that the pedal feel is NOT stiff at all. Not much more than stock honestly. Oh and it sounds nothing like "mid 80's GM truck with the release bearing pounded out of it." Just putting this out there FYI...

On edit: This is with STOCK OEM hydraulics

I have heard from people who have driven both versions that there is a night and day difference between the first version and the later. Again, mine is the first version, but I promise, it is one of stiffest clutches I have ever driven. I don't think there is something wrong with it cause it has been on the truck for 56k now without any other issues (except the slave cylinder going out at 46k and popping the line off the slave cylinder at 60k).

Latest posts

Members online