upgrades for my 2000 7.3

B-FEAGLEY7.3

Reaction score
I have a 2000 f250 7.3. I wanna build it to be a sleeper truck and blow the doors off and surprise other trucks. So anyone got suggestions? Anybody know bout regulated fuel return or go with a air dog?? What size injectors? And I wanna get 400-500. So I am for sure gettin transmission built. Anyone advice or info is awesome thanks

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
have you chose your injectors, turbo, hpop, tuning options? I have a 2000 in the shop now doing a small build for a customer that you could stop by and check out if you are in the area. here is the list of things he is getting
*180/100 injectors
*1.00 exhaust housing with gen2 wicked wheel installed on the compressor side
*driven diesel regulated return fuel system
*gauges
* wix 46637 air filter
*finished up with one of my custom tuned chips

Cloverleaffarm

Reaction score
I have a 2000 f250 7.3. I wanna build it to be a sleeper truck and blow the doors off and surprise other trucks. So anyone got suggestions? Anybody know bout regulated fuel return or go with a air dog?? What size injectors? And I wanna get 400-500. So I am for sure gettin transmission built. Anyone advice or info is awesome thanks

if you wanna blow off doors and surprise, then you better build a 500-600 hp truck.

INFRNL

Reaction score
What kind of budget are we looking at? Hope you have some dough saved.

At least 250/200 injectors

I run the strictly diesel fuel system but there are other good ones out there too.
Diesel innovations, dieselsite, irate diesel, etc.

Bts tranny if its an auto

Turbo of choice. Got mine from irate. Id go with a t4/t6 style mounted turbo of some sort.

There will be a bunch of different options that im sure you are aware of and im sure youll get a bunch of different opinions too

Black 02

Reaction score
250/200
Twins or SRP1.1
S366 or S468 with mount
Intake, exhaust, custom tuning
Tranmission upgrade.
Fuel System
Studs, springs, pushrods

Just be prepared to spend $12k or more.

MAKE SURE IT HAS FORGED RODS!

TRUST ME! :pimp:

Last edited:

DocBar

Reaction score
if you wanna blow off doors and surprise, then you better build a 500-600 hp truck.
500-600 will let you blow the doors off of a stock newer truck or mildly modded older truck. You might surprise some guys with a 600 rwhp truck, but won't blow any doors off of too many modded ones. The amount of $$ involved in getting a 7.3 to that level is ridiculous. Much more than you'll ever be able to get out of the truck.
$12K will be doing a considerable amount of the work yourself. Probably closer to $15-$20K.

INFRNL

Reaction score
250/200
Twins or SRP1.1
S366 or S468 with mount
Tranmission upgrade.
Fuel System
Studs, springs, pushrods

I agree with this but a healthy hpop or t500 is fine. I got an srp1.1 cause a lot of guys claimed it would make a difference, but I see no gains over stock.
I have spent around 10k or so pushing around 500hp on pmrs. 1 day I will have a forged rod motor pushing my injectors to their full potential.

500-600 will let you blow the doors off of a stock newer truck or mildly modded older truck. You might surprise some guys with a 600 rwhp truck, but won't blow any doors off of too many modded ones. The amount of $$ involved in getting a 7.3 to that level is ridiculous. Much more than you'll ever be able to get out of the truck.
$12K will be doing a considerable amount of the work yourself. Probably closer to $15-$20K.

Very true. Its sad how much older trucks always have to put in so much to keep up with the newer trucks, but this will be a never ending battle. However its still cheaper than buying a newer truck and still modding it.

David N

Reaction score
250/200
Twins or SRP1.1
S366 or S468 with mount
Tranmission upgrade.
Fuel System
Studs, springs, pushrods

x2.

DocBar

Reaction score
I agree with this but a healthy hpop or t500 is fine. I got an srp1.1 cause a lot of guys claimed it would make a difference, but I see no gains over stock.
I have spent around 10k or so pushing around 500hp on pmrs. 1 day I will have a forged rod motor pushing my injectors to their full potential.

Very true. Its sad how much older trucks always have to put in so much to keep up with the newer trucks, but this will be a never ending battle. However its still cheaper than buying a newer truck and still modding it.
The worth is in how much an individual values the bells and whistles of a newer truck over an older truck.

I chose to build a higher HP 7.3 for the uniqueness of it and forego the bells and whistles. Sometimes I question my decision. I'm just too deep into the 7.3 to quit now and break anywhere near even. I might choose to make a pure drag truck with the power plant, put stock parts back in the '03, to sell, and get a new truck to drive, getting well over 400rwhp on just tunes, to boot. That decision will be made after I see how the compounds perform. I'm really looking forward to the compounds, even with all the tuning difficulties that will come when I go to twin HPOP's (from BTS) and 400/400's ( for race/dyno days).

INFRNL

Reaction score
The worth is in how much an individual values the bells and whistles of a newer truck over an older truck.

I chose to build a higher HP 7.3 for the uniqueness of it and forego the bells and whistles. Sometimes I question my decision. I'm just too deep into the 7.3 to quit now and break anywhere near even. I might choose to make a pure drag truck with the power plant, put stock parts back in the '03, to sell, and get a new truck to drive, getting well over 400rwhp on just tunes, to boot. That decision will be made after I see how the compounds perform. I'm really looking forward to the compounds, even with all the tuning difficulties that will come when I go to twin HPOP's (from BTS) and 400/400's ( for race/dyno days).

Sounds sweet, hope to hear about the build/results

97stoker350

Reaction score
I figure around low 6s and around 1200. But deffinetly not getting that with the 40s and lift on the truck, the 5 speed slows it down too

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
a 7.3 seams to become a finicky bish once over the 450hp mark... many guys have tried DDing over 500hp.. most guys tend to go back to the 400-450hp level to dd their 7.3s..

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online