upgrading stock turbo

~NASTYSTROKER96~

Reaction score
who makes a good smaller exhaust housing and better exhaust wheels for our trucks and what would be a good upgrade for the compressor wheel? im gunna modify a stock turbo to handle my stage 2s better

Stroker#66

Reaction score
In a about a week or so I'll have my d66 for sale it's not from beans I had a machine shop put it together pretty much the same thing

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Not very much you can do to the OBS turbo. They got .84 & 1.00 turbine housing but that's it.

~NASTYSTROKER96~

Reaction score
stroker how much you wantin for your turbo? cant you go smaller in the exhaust housing? if i have to mill out the compressor housing to fit a better wheel i will

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
what you do with the truck is whats going to be the deciding factor of housing size.
if you want quick boost, but not much top end, .84
midrange, 1.0
mid-high end, stock- 1.15
tighter housings = higher egts
besides with bigger injectors you are going to spool the turbo way faster
do you tow?
how heavy?
d66 or equivelent with stock housing will do what you need perfectly.

MossBack

Reaction score
what you do with the truck is whats going to be the deciding factor of housing size.
if you want quick boost, but not much top end, .84
midrange, 1.0
mid-high end, stock- 1.15
tighter housings = higher egts
besides with bigger injectors you are going to spool the turbo way faster
do you tow?
how heavy?
d66 or equivelent with stock housing will do what you need perfectly.

I would like proof about tighter housings causing higher egt's. I have approximately 35k miles on a . 84 housing that has been beat and I have tried to get it hot and never broke 1300. ( stock 1.15 would peg 1600 if I really tried.) Same tunes and set up btw.

And top end wise I hit 23-26 before shift and never saw 20 before. What I have found is the. 84 not only gives me awesome around town driving I have picked up some MPG as well.
And i have pushed 100 trying to get it hot. ( never did.)

I think stock truck / injectors a .84 is great I however do not have a back pressure gauge to verify drive pressure. This set up works for me.

To the op what about having the new BMW machined in the obs Turbo?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

~NASTYSTROKER96~

Reaction score
id like to put a smaller exhaust housing on do double Batmowheels on it, they got exhaust batmowheels too. but id assume this will require major machining

Cory S

Reaction score
throw some snake oil in there too. no but seriously there is only so much you can do and with stage 2's i wouldnt go lower than 1.0 housing

Diesel_Brad

Reaction score
What are the specs on a D66 turbo in comparison to a stock OBS turbo?

I am looking for a lil more air with my 97 Cali truck(120cc injectors)
I am in the process of putting in an I/C right now, but I would like to get more out of it if I could

old man dave

Reaction score
My original install was a Banks PowerPack on my 97 California truck. It included an IC, the 1.0 turbo housing, downpipe, mandrel bent 3.5" tailpipe, bad Banks Ottomind chip and POS Banks guages with the EGT stuck post turbo into the downpipe. This setup actually worked very well with the California truck although pricewise, it was a poor deal and the Banks chip would run prety high EGTs. Without a chip installed in it, the truck would make about 245 horsepower or so with very good spoolup for towing.

I used the 1.0 housing with stage II 160s. I think most of the detractors of the 1.0 housing either have never used it or did something really stupid like sledpulling or burning as much rubber as they could.

My truck also dyno'ed over 400hp again with the stock muffler (nothing else about the exhaust was stock). It did run better with a true 4" exhaust though. The truck also ran a 14.5 quarter with a 1.99 0-60' time, again with the stock muffler. This was with antique 2003 DieselPower tunes.

I tow a 10K trailer with this setup, the tow tune made 385hp.

I swapped the stock 1.15 housing back in and lost about 1/2 second on the 0-60mph time. Went back to the 1.0.

I once dyno'ed the usual 400 hp and on the way home, a 500hp single turbo cummins came out to play on the freeway. He had been at the dyno meet,too. So. he figures he's gonna get some cheap meat and rolls it on from 65. I let him get 2-3 lengths in front and then stuck it. By the time 95 came up, I was on his bumper. So much for the lack of top end with the 1.0.

Theres something to be learned here. One is don't be stupid, always spool the turbo before playing games. Two, I don't think the 1.0 lacks that much top end. Three, once you do this, your sleeper truck cover is blown for sure. :pimp:

Last edited:

old man dave

Reaction score
Stock California truck up favorite test hill 64 mph WOT with 10k tow load. Banks PowerPack with same 10K trailer same hill 72mph WOT and 1150* EGTs post turbo, not so good Banks chip.
StageII 160s with old DieselPower chip, same load, same hill 85 mph 2/3 the way up, EGTs 950* post turbo. Backed out of it since theres a notorious CHP speed trap at the top and exceeding 85 with a trailer in this area in CA means you go straight to jail...:pullover:

Banks used a 1997 F-350 California truck when he advertised the 280 rwhp rating of the PowePack gain, a federal truck is about 30hp less with a PowerPack.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online