Upgrading turbos on the cheap

Mbatten

Reaction score
When a turbo is balanced is it in housings completely assembled? I'm not trying to argue but I haven't balanced a turbo ? Do clearances matter for hormonics and how are they spun? What Rpm is turned?

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
When a turbo is balanced is it in housings completely assembled? I'm not trying to argue but I haven't balanced a turbo ? Do clearances matter for hormonics and how are they spun? What Rpm is turned?

no, it is the rotating group that is balanced. the two wheels and the shaft.

59fordcummins

Reaction score
Very cool video, would love to have one in my shop, or better yet know how to properly use one. Is barder the only shop or who else upgrades these and costs, let's get them out on the table, even if it's only a couple hundred bucks, that's still money that could be spent on a twin pump setup or whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TD-5

Reaction score
Are you asking who builds custom turbos?, if so there are Barder as mentioned, Elite Diesel Engineering, Maryland Performance Diesel, River City Diesel, Industrial Injection, BD performance (they don't build anything for the 6.4 yet) I'm sure there are more I missed. Look in the Vendors section below.

59fordcummins

Reaction score
Who can you send you turbos to to be upgraded? Cheaper then buying like a new 59mm vgt or or 71mm atmo? It sounded like barder would upgrade them? Idk, just trying to figure out the best bang for the buck I guess. I know none of these are cheap, but it's like the dual k16 kits, diesel dr or Midwest is $800-1000 cheaper then elite, who is the cheapest, quality place to get 6.4 turbos, wether you send yours in and get them upgraded or buy new?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online