V10 mileage improvement recommendations

SAK

Reaction score
I have heard putting a different y-pipe setup from the headers to the cat have helped quite a bit.

Wayne

Reaction score
hand calculated 8.97 on the first full tank. I hope to have a cat delete and appropriate tune on it by the weekend. We'll see where it goes from there.

Wayne

Reaction score
LOL

just throw a 12v cummings in it... not much you can do to those v10s

here's a piece of the first post...
Just picked up a totally stock '03 excursion running a V10, 4r100 trans, 4X4, and 3.73's that I'd like to mod for better fuel economy until I get around to the 6.4 conversion I have planned for it in a year or so.

The cummins... will never happenLOL. I did that conversion for a guy a couple years ago, and when it was done it still cost more to properly build it at 400 rwhp than I could do a 6.4 conversion for. SCT X3 is the same for the V10 as the 6.0, so when I'm ready for the conversion I'll be able to sell the X3 easy enough. I'll post up MPG's in the next several weeks after I go through another full tank, and can post hand calculated results.

Last edited:

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
Ah sorry must have missed that. I wouldn't really bother with too many mpg mods if your planning on a conversion then. Just baby the gogo pedal bud :D

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Somebody mentioned doing true duals... I seem to remember that being on of the very worst things you can do for fuel mileage, but I'm not a big gasser guy. Any truth to that?

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
Somebody mentioned doing true duals... I seem to remember that being on of the very worst things you can do for fuel mileage, but I'm not a big gasser guy. Any truth to that?

No its was them big hood scoops you had on you f150 that was the worst thing you could do for mileage.....

00f3fiddy

Reaction score
high flowing air filter and either true dual exhaust or at min get rid of the cat.... if it has any more then 150k on the clock get ready to helicoil some spark plugs.. have had a slew of them that i know of blow the plugs out because the cat gets to plugged up...

We have replaced abunch of them on trucks with no cats.

Wayne

Reaction score
Well, I pulled the trigger, and installed a 3" cat delete pipe today as well as canned SCT tunes to keep the engine happy, and shut off the EGR. Topped off the fuel tank, and reset the trip meter on the way home, so in a couple weeks after the tank's empty again I'll have to top it off, and report mileage gains. I may play with different tunes, but unless I lose MPG with the mods I'll probably end there. sure would be nice if I could be up in the 12+ range, but time will tell. I'll report back when I top it off again. Thanks for all of you who've contributed thus far.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I would think for headers/performance exhaust to do anything you'd have to.be applying.more throttle than fuel economy, esp in a v10, will ever recognize. Id say 10 is good, 11is.great, 12-14? Not with out major aerodynamic and weight reduction. V10s are gas hogs.

Wayne

Reaction score
I would think for headers/performance exhaust to do anything you'd have to.be applying.more throttle than fuel economy, esp in a v10, will ever recognize. Id say 10 is good, 11is.great, 12-14? Not with out major aerodynamic and weight reduction. V10s are gas hogs.

A guy can fantasize, can't he?:shrug: I told the wife to do her best to keep it under 2K rpm's. I don't know how far that'll get me with her lead foot, but I thought it would be worth a try.

Members online

No members online now.