VGT Compound Build

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Only thing I may have to do is swap the feed and return port because the fuel is traveling downhill right now, it would probably cool better going uphill.

Oh well, wiring the fans tonight and I'll see what the results are.

I'm going to separate the two fuel systems.. I was experimenting to see if the 165 could supply enough fuel to the factory pump and the cp3 but I think it's just causing fuel to cycle through the tank at an elevated rate..

Going to just put a sump on the tank and use the 165 to feed the cp3 and the stock pump to feed the cp4 like I should have done in the first place.

I'm also going to separate the return side of things so that two pumps aren't trying to return down one single oem line, I'll run them parallel until they get to the 1/2inch cooler line and run a y block into that.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Should work pretty good. Especially if you go all the way of separating the two systems.

We'll know the root cause of my heat issue once you get a temp gun on yours.

If you get a chance after a decent drive through stop-and-go traffic just put your hand on your tank and tell me what you think.

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
We'll know the root cause of my heat issue once you get a temp gun on yours.

If you get a chance after a decent drive through stop-and-go traffic just put your hand on your tank and tell me what you think.
Heading out now. I'll post up when I'm done driving

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
1 week sitting in the garage. Today was about 90 raw temp. This is with H&S LPFP and dual fuelers

Before
Filter - 96
Adapter - 101
Tank - 83
Water sep - 86

After 45min highway
Filter - 134
Adapter - 125
Tank - 106
Water Sep - 133

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
Since I can't edit the 1st post. Not trying to muck up Codys build but for comparison this is what I found tonight. Ambient air temp was 90-85 so not much change throughout the drive. Set the exact same speed on cruise to dinner and coming home. Obviously notas scientific as it could be but I tried to keep the variables to a minimum.

Filter = Fuel filter in engine bay
Adapter = H&S duel fueler adapter for fuel filter
Tank = bottom of the fuel tank
Water sep = Water Separater on lpfp

Truck sat since Sunday afternoon in the garage. So before even starting it.
Filter - 96
Adapter - 101
Tank - 83
Water sep - 86

After 45min highway drive at temp and flogging it a "few" times. This was on 1/4 tank.
Filter - 134
Adapter - 125
Tank - 106
Water Sep - 133

Same drive home but with a full tank.
Filter - 120
Adapter - 118
Tank - 100
Warer sep- 115

Just helping Cody determine if its a pump issue or cooling issue so he has numbers to compare to.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
It's interesting how much cooler your fuel tank is staying than mine.

I think it's because the airdog has its own fuel return, must be cycling a ton of fuel through the pump making tank warmer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Well after wiring the fans and completely rewiring the fuel system it's back to being how I remember.

Fuel Temps are down 10-15 degrees. It's about 90 degrees ambient, I have a 1/4 tank of fuel and I was flogging the truck pretty good... couple wot pulls and a boost launch :evil:

Iat's were 140+ so I'd say the secondary system was pretty well heat soaked therefore least effective at cooling the fuel.

I'm seeing 130 on the filters, tank is down to 120, that's with less fuel and hotter secondary system temps.

It was tough getting a delta reading but it seems to be around 15 degrees.

Most importantly my low pressure fuel pump isn't dropping pressure like it was, so that's good news.

I think I can improve cooling by swapping the fuel lines and making the fuel run up the cooler instead of run down it.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Optimal temp for fuel cell testing to make certifications on engine dyno is 60*F.

To answer your question. Yes there is a "too cold"... it doesn't atomize the same at colder temperatures. That's part of the reason why there are more Regens on stock trucks in the winter vs summer.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I really want to stress something here... if your at 140*F and you have vapors coming from the fuel fill neck. You are well into the flash point of those vapors igniting if it's near an ignition source. Summer grade fuel is around 130*F Flashpoint for the vapors.

Please be careful when dealing with the vapors. You can quickly have an episode on your hands similar to a gasoline combustion event!

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
It's interesting how much cooler your fuel tank is staying than mine.

I think it's because the airdog has its own fuel return, must be cycling a ton of fuel through the pump making tank warmer.

i was getting overheat / limp mode problems with the stock fuel system, went to h&s kit and it never came back .

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
i was getting overheat / limp mode problems with the stock fuel system, went to h&s kit and it never came back .
Running less pressure on the low pressure side by any chance?

I find myself questioning why ford thinks the cp4 needs 60+ psi where the duramax doesn't even use a lift pump.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
So after doing some reading; there is a thermal recirculation valve inside the dfcm that will divert fuel back into the pump until the fuel reaches 100 degrees. So basically if you have a stock lpfp its going to try like hell to keep fuel above 100 degrees.

Just thought that was interesting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
So after doing some reading; there is a thermal recirculation valve inside the dfcm that will divert fuel back into the pump until the fuel reaches 100 degrees. So basically if you have a stock lpfp its going to try like hell to keep fuel above 100 degrees.

yeah but mcc tuning can fix that portion .

Jonnydime

Reaction score

They have been doing that since the 6.0 and 6.4 in the hfcm.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Well unfortunately I think the converter has had enough.

Past few days the truck has felt strong on some pulls and lackluster on others. Confirmed tonight that it's not locking up on anything other than the small tune.

Not surprised, it's essentially stock and has been really impressive up until this point.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.