Vgt gone wrong

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
So today my vgt started messing up on me. It sounds like a cummins truck tone wise with no whistle at all. Then you get going the turbo spools up but it spool up way too fast. Like I'm getting 2psi at idle. It's max is 27psi for me but when it acts up it will hit 33psi without full throttle. The vgt duty cycle is all over the place. When you let off the throttle it sounds like it's howling outta the stacks. Then it might start running right but then goes right back to messin up. Idk if it's the solenoid or the connector since I noticed the connector is broken. Also iv read the ebp sensor will do it too. Idk I'm lost. Where do I start? Thanks!

Sent from my Pear phone 5 using Tapatalk

Idiesel

Reaction score
Sounds like maybe the solenoid is going bad. Idk if that's a common problem. I've seen it happen on a few dmaxs

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
it did this to me once but i shut the truck off and restarted it and it was fine until yesterday when it started acting up again. that was saturday when it happened first.

Idiesel

Reaction score
Sounds like you didn't make good connection when you changed the plug or the solenoid took a crap completely.

78f100

Reaction score
your not ever gonna get a good answer with that avatar, I cant remember the question...LOL

weazel

Reaction score
My EBP sensor took a poop and did exactly what you said, but it threw a code. But my VGT solenoid crapped out and it did it too,

Sent from my fortress of awesome

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
I'll grab an ohm meter at work and see if it's working right. I should be able to set my SCT to read back pressure. That should tell me if my ebp sensor is working right?

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
When I went to work this morning BP was reading 21.48psi all the time except doin 70 and it would fluctuate to like 30psi and that's it. Still no boost. Key on engine off it was still reading 21.48psi. Shouldn't it be reading 0?

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
I checked the ebp tube and it's clean and clear. Checked the ebp sensor and it's clean. I tried another vgt solenoid and that didn't do anything. I am so stumped!! Help me

weazel

Reaction score
The symptoms you are having, it could be either one, or both, I would start on the sensor it is cheaper

Sent from my fortress of awesome

Commandos888

Reaction score
Re: Hey bud

Use a scanner check EBP and make sure it about 1.5 p.s.i of the BARO. it 0.15 volt.if it is it's good.In my shop i seen my lead tech and i misdiagnose a turbo due to a faulty MAP sensor.that is one i will NEVER over look again!!! I use a VCM 2 to check pids you could also use a scanner with live data. use a hand held push pull pump,to test the MAP.The MGP should be the same on the vacum gauge.

Commandos888

Reaction score
Re: Hey bud

Also with the scanner again check that vgt command if it go's 15% or 85% for more then 4 seconds.If its doing that then the vanes are sticking. and you also checked all the CAC boots and up-pips for leaks???

Latest posts

Members online