VGT...OR NON VGT

Reaction score
Here is my dilemma .. I want to get a good set up for our 64f100 6.0 I wanna be able to drive it as a daily, but have a lil extra power. Thinking 205s or 210s. If I have to I'll get more hpo. This is where y'all come in. What have y'all seen, or installed that has been a good reliable set up. Thanks for the help guys.
VGT...NON-VGT.?????:confused:

doubledrop

Reaction score

Ross@Flyindiesel

Reaction score
i think for fitment reasons you should stay vgt. thats just me though. seems like it would be easier on the hood clearance and what not since you dont have custom feed lines going to the turbo. you can always have someone do a polished cover to make it pop

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
non vgt.....that whistle gets old as hell, it's cheaper, and you'll make the same if not more power. as far as driveablility goes, it's all in how you size it.

edit: i know where you can get a sweet compound setup.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Not to get off track but has anyone run a bigger turbonetics with success? Turbine wheel just seems small. Guess you could always go to a bigger a/r. BTW I vote non-vgt.

Their turbines have decent flow but i wouldn't run one without a gate.

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
66 and uppipes = $1800ish
MTW 4 = $3400

Similar horsepower, Both easily streetable But I'd imagine the MTW spools up faster.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
66 and uppipes = $1800ish
MTW 4 = $3400

Similar horsepower, Both easily streetable But I'd imagine the MTW spools up faster.

Up pipes and a fmw 467 will be at stage 4 power and should spool like a 66

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
non vgt.....that whistle gets old as hell, it's cheaper, and you'll make the same if not more power. as far as driveablility goes, it's all in how you size it.

edit: i know where you can get a sweet compound setup.

I think the non-vgt whistle more then the my big vgt's. As far as same or more power maybe from same size, but then the streetabity would be loss. I have some plans putting some non vgt up against some of mine vgt. I'm not scared, well maybe a little. If anyone with a non vgt want to do comparison let me know. I will even compare compounds side by side with the stage 3, and 4, horsepower, street manners and tow. Not saying that my turbos are better I just want to really know and have a real comparison for 6.0 powerstroke owners.

I vote VGT, who would have guessed. I will put a stage 3 up against a 366 all day long, and it's 2900.00.

Last edited:

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Non vgts dont have whistle from the exhaust side, depending what turbine youre using, once you step up over the 74mm exducer say 83mm in the 400 series then you'll get more whistle.

Id help you out doing some side by side testing if i had the time and the drive to switch my up pipes out. Good luck

At least make it a fair comparison and use a 68mm non vgt to compare to the stage 3

g2shuck

Reaction score
I think the non-vgt whistle more then the my big vgt's. As far as same or more power maybe from same size, but then the streetabity would be loss. I have some plans putting some non vgt up against some of mine vgt. I'm not scared, well maybe a little. If anyone with a non vgt want to do comparison let me know. I will even compare compounds side by side with the stage 3, and 4, horsepower, street manners and tow. Not saying that my turbos are better I just want to really know and have a real comparison for 6.0 powerstroke owners.

I vote VGT, who would have guessed. I will put a stage 3 up against a 366 all day long, and it's 2900.00.

Adrian I will do a side by side test to my s472 and my 350/100 conventionals in two weeks when the truck is back together.

that should be stage 4 territory and would really prove what the stage 4 is capable of

MorganY

Reaction score
One thing to consider too Dorian is what you're ok with as far as reliability for the truck.

You're average non vgt is cheap to rebuild, and if kept within the map of the charger, will last you a long time.

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
Adrian I will do a side by side test to my s472 and my 350/100 conventionals in two weeks when the truck is back together.

that should be stage 4 territory and would really prove what the stage 4 is capable of

Absolutely, I like the sound of that and since we live somewhat close. So here's what we will do. We can pick a date I will take the turbo off my truck and we will put it on yours. We need to find a dyno and I will get the tune for the stage 4, you can run whatever tune for your non-vgt. We will get horsepower and street manners for side by side. How's that sound to everyone else, that is a **** load of fuel and stage 4 measures 70.8mm/95mm compressor wheel. We can start a separate thread on it, I don't want to derail this one.

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
I think a comparison with something much more common would be more helpful. 225's and 66 vs 225's and a stage 3. 225's and 72 vs 225's and stage 4. something that people are more likely to have vs 350 conventionals. I would love to see those setups run on the same dyno the same day to see what kind of quantifiable differences there really are.

adrian I'd volunteer to put a stage 4 on with my setup to compare vs compounds...BUT i just hate doing uppipes too much LOL.

back on track for Dorian...I've had both non vgt and big vgt. loved both setup's for different reasons so I don't think you could actually go wrong either way.

strokethis_06

Reaction score
What about reliability of a vgt at high power levels?

Also does it spool that much faster to pay that much more money?

Can get an s366 for $600

g2shuck

Reaction score
Absolutely, I like the sound of that and since we live somewhat close. So here's what we will do. We can pick a date I will take the turbo off my truck and we will put it on yours. We need to find a dyno and I will get the tune for the stage 4, you can run whatever tune for your non-vgt. We will get horsepower and street manners for side by side. How's that sound to everyone else, that is a **** load of fuel and stage 4 measures 70.8mm/95mm compressor wheel. We can start a separate thread on it, I don't want to derail this one.

Adrian I have a dyno avaible 3 hours from my house that will let us come up at any time... they charge me $75 for 3 runs... you will need to put your up pipes on my truck too since I have t4 divided up pipes

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
I started new thread for the comparison that Gray and I will do. MTW stage 4 VGT vs
S472 non VGT please go on that thread for more comments, thanks.

Latest posts

Members online